Like It

Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Cigar and Beer Review: Hoyo Excalibur #1 and Bieken Honey Ale

Matching Your Cigar with a Quality Belgium Beer



For a Refreshing Experience
Bieken Honey Ale and Hoyo Excalibur #1

If you are looking for a refreshing experience this is the matching for you. These two mirror one another in so many ways.
1. Color: They almost match in color.
2. Body: Both on the mild side of Medium. I rate both a 4 on my strength scale.
3. Flavor: Nothing overwhelming here and that is a good thing on a nice summer day. There is no overwhelming bitterness or sweetness. The undertones of each are complex in their mild-medium styles, which offers you a pleasant social experience.
4. Mouthfeel: Very clean is all I can say. I think that is why globalbeer.com says this ale goes well with salad or fruit – I agree.

The Excalibur #1 offers you a sweet, woody and wheat bread toasty flavor. The Connecticut shade leaves used on the wrapper and binder gives you a nice mild to medium smoke. The long fillers of Nicaraguan, Dominican and Honduran tobaccos give the Excalibur that classic tobacco taste that I always enjoy. This cigar has been one of my favorites for the last 15 years. Because, of the nice undertones, this cigar has the range to go with many foods and beverages.
I have chosen this cigar today because I am pairing it with the Bieken Honey Ale. The Bieken is an 8.5% abv Belgian beer with a nice medium body flavor itself. I rate both of these a 4 on my strength scale.

When I drink the Bieken I can see the bee taking its nectar from the orange blossom and making its honey. This ale is well balanced, as I stated before there is nothing overwhelming from this ale. If you want to enjoy some nice summertime flavors pick up the Bieken Honey Ale and find a nice spot to sit while the day goes by.

Enjoy the Experience,
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment