Like It

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Copeland Creek 2002 Meritage and B2 – Blue Label Cigar: Review

The Wine
Copeland Creek 2002 Meritage
13.9% abv
Sonoma Coast
Copeland Creek Vineyards
Santa Rosa, California, USA
46% Cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Cab Franc, 15% Merlot.  I usually like a Meritage wine with the lower percentage of Merlot and the higher percentage of Franc and this is true with this wine. 
The wine has a dark purple body with ruby highlights on the rim.  The aroma is pure dark berry with a hint of delicate spice and a nice smoky style on the nose.

The taste is very pleasing.  Bold dark cherry, black raspberry, and mulberry dominate the flavors.  There is a soft spice box and sweet tobacco elegance to the taste.  It is the earthy notes that give this wine a firm body.  This wine is purely delicious. 

I always enjoyed this Meritage and that is probably why I bought a case a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately, this might be my last bottle.  I am going to check the cellar for that bottle that is out of place.  If I have one more I am going to save it for 2012. 

I would say buy it but, I doubt that it is on the shelf. 

The Cigar
B2 – Blue Label
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan and Panamanian long fillers
Size: 6 x 60 Double Toro
My Strength Rating: 3.5
Back a few months ago I bought a 30 pack wheel of these big boys and I was excited.  I smoked one right away, which I usually wait a few week, and I was disappointed.  It was boring.  A couple of weeks ago I tried one and I was thinking it was ready to be reviewed.  So, today is the day to test this baby. 

Off the light I detect sweet tobacco and a mossy earthy style.  As the cigar progressed through the first half I still get the sweet tobacco and moss along with a mineral earthiness.  By mid-point the sweet style is fading and I am left with the earthy notes and a mild coffee note. 

I have to say I am disappointed with the stick from the description.  Here are the tasting notes from the seller, ‘Notes of earth, coffee, and leather coat the palate while sweet and peppery nuances round out the mix.’  It is also sold as medium to full in body. 

The coffee is weak and the ‘sweet and peppery’ are non-existing.  Medium body is a stretch.  To me it is an okay mild-medium body smoke.  The nice thing about this cigar is that it should match up well with most beverages.  I think this cigar would be perfect with an IPA beer or a bold Cabernet or Mertiage.  I think I’ll pair it with a tasty Meritage. 

The Pairing
This is an okay pairing.  The cigar does not interfere with the bold dark cherry and berry flavors of this wine.  The mossy and mineral earthy notes of the cigar mix well with the earthy style of the wine.  The sweet notes were pleasing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment