Like It

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gurkha Ninja Churchill and Old Pulteney 12 Year Old Scotch: Review

The Cigar


Gurkha Ninja Churchill
Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro
Fillers: Dominican
Size: 7 x 50
$6.99 Smoky’s of Northville


Off the Light: medium roast earthy coffee.  As the smoke continues there is a woody tone that develops that reminds me of hardwood with a touch of cedar.  The medium roast coffee is still present with a light sweet nut like note.  Starting off medium in body and smooth in texture.

Mid-Point: the earthy coffee profile continues with the woody tones following.  Lightly toasted grains and a slight sweet note swirl around the main profile.  It is still medium in body but the texture is a bit leathery. 

Down the Stretch: the coffee seems a little on the burnt side, the grains a little more toasty, the earthy note is coming across like dry soil.  The mouthfeel is feeling a little dry so, a drink along the way helps; the body is on the boarder of medium-full, and the texture is leathery.

My Strength Rating: 5 – overall

To the Point: this is the first I have had in the Ninja line.  I enjoyed the smoke and for the price I’ll be trying more of these.  







The Scotch

Old Pulteney Aged 12 Years
Single Malt Scotch Whisky
Pulteney Distillery
Wick, Scotland
Highland Malt
43% abv
$39.99 – in Bad Axe, Michigan

What a great looking bottle

Appearance: golden honey, almost the same color as the gold ring on my finger.
Little swirl in the glass shows some legs.

Nose: the alcohol is noticeable at first and then starts to settle; aromas of stone fruit, hint of vanilla, touch of toffee, creamy feel on the nose.

Flavors: underneath that almost creamy mouthfeel I notice a touch of honey, the sherry is coming through and sweet grains, moderate ginger spice warmth coats the palate, with sweet bourbon on the exhale and finish. 

Mouthfeel: long lingering warmth with a slight spice and sweet malt character.    

My Strength Rating: 5.5 – medium

Yes, you can fit a round bottle in a oval canister

To the Point:  This is on my second glass of this Scotch.  I am looking forward to trying this again.  It seems to have an elegant style.  I am also looking forward to pairing this with a fine cigar. 

On another day of tasting the Old Pulteney: Oh yes, I like this baby.  I shared it with my neighbor in Grindstone City (summer place) and he really liked it and he is a Tennessee Bourbon guy. 


The Pairing

The earthy coffee profile of the cigar pairs well this Single Malt Scotch.  The profile of the cigar really brings out the honey, sweet grains and tasty sherry.  The cigar also seems to control the moderate ginger spice during this pairing.  But, I like the spicy note.

On the final third of the cigar when the taste becomes a little fuller the Old Pulteney really helps to refresh the palate.    

No comments:

Post a Comment