Like It

Monday, January 17, 2011

Tasting Experience: Objective vs Subject

Writing a review can have both.

When tasting a beer or wine we all have our opinions. When I sit down to review a product I do have my opinion but, when it is review time I try to set my opinion to the side and try to get my mind-set for the type of beer or wine that I am ready to review. There is objectivity to reviewing and when I review I have to concentrate on the type of product that I am preparing to taste. So, in my reviews I try to give some objective notes so you can make up your mind and I also give my opinion. My opinion only works for you if your perception (or palate) is similar to mine.

Let’s critique pizza for an example. Here is the subjective critique: “This is one great pizza.” “I hate greasy pizza.” “I only like thin crust.” Having an opinion is fine but, does not help us to critique the pizza.

When tasting beer or wine it helps to know some objective material to the beverage you are going to drink. Let’s go back to the pizza. We order a medium size, thin crust, double cheese, and pepperoni pizza. Looking at the pizza we observe: very thin crust with the toppings going all the way to the edge of the pizza. There are no baking bubbles that disfigure the look of the pizza. The pepperonis are curled and the edges are slightly burnt. There are about three pepperonis per slice of pizza. The cheese looks well baked. Coming from the cheese and pepperonis there is plenty of grease floating on top of the za. The information here is primarily objective material.

I can mix the objective material with my subjective opinion. The pepperonis are curled and the edges are slightly burnt – Oh, how I dislike burnt pepperoni. If you like slightly burnt peps you know the objective material to know this pizza is for you regardless of my opinion that I dislike them.

Let’s look at statements that are made in reviews.

“This is a bad Cabernet Sauvignon.” This is pretty much opinion. I would argue it depends who said it. If it is my friend who drinks nothing but Merlot, well it is only an opinion statement and not a good opinion at that – for he has no experience with wine beyond a Merlot wine. What would he know about a good or bad Cabernet Sauvignon?

“This is a weak example of a Cabernet Sauvignon.” While, the statement, by itself comes across as subjective we need to read the full review. “This Cab has a light body, some thyme, clove, pie spice, violet, and blackberry.” Now, we have something to work from to form our own opinion. This wine sounds like we may be drinking Mourvedre and not a Cab. Sauv.

So, know some objective material about your beverage. What type of beer or wine are you ready to drink. What are some of the basic characteristics of this type?

Wine: Cabernet Sauvignon

Basic Characteristics: Dark berries (currants, blackberries), eucalyptus, chocolate, good earthy notes, tobacco, … . Medium-full to full mouthfeel. Good acidic and tannins, astringent notes.

So, prepare yourself for your tasting experience. Learn to read some tasting notes and match your experience to those notes. Also, learn to broaden your horizons. Just drinking one type of beverage limits your view. You also don’t know much about Merlot until you learn and taste other wines. You may also find another wine that you truly like, maybe a Gamay Noir or Shiraz.

Enjoy the Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment