Like It

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Rocky Patel ‘The Edge’ Toro Maduro and Atwater VooDooVator: Cigar and Beer Pairing


The Cigar


Rocky Patel ‘The Edge’ Toro Maduro

Wrapper: Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Fillers: ? Secrete
According to Rockypatel.com -
Size: 6 x 52
My Strength Rating: 6.5

I can’t believe I have never reviewed this stick.  A few years back every time I went in to the cigar store I would pick up 4 sticks just to store away in my humidor.  Well, I have a good collection of these babies.  So, it is time for a review. 

I have always liked this cigar for its size, price, and flavor.  The flavor is fairly consistent all the way thru the smoking experience.  Dark roasted French Roast coffee notes mingled with some dried brown spice and toasted pumpernickel.  The mouthfeel is very pleasing and smooth for a medium-full bodied smoke. 

This cigar should pair well with most stouts, porters and dopplebocks.


The Beer

Atwater VooDooVator
9.5% abv
12 oz bottle
$11.00 a four pack
30 IBU
Atwater Block Brewery
Detroit, Michigan, USA
A solid black body with plenty of foam. 
Solid hop bitterness, nice caramel taste, a touch of plain milk chocolate, roasted malts, and a medium peppery spice.


The Pairing
This is a very good pairing.  The medium peppery spice and hops of the dopplebock mix well with the spices of the cigar.  The roasted malts, caramel, and the milk chocolate play well with the coffee profile of the cigar. 

I really enjoyed this pairing

1 comment:

  1. This cigar may be a bit more full bodied for a newer cigar smoker but a acceptable addition to maduro wrapper. The Robust was accurate to its name and offered a little added spice but not overpowering.

    http://www.famous-smoke.com/brand/drew+estate+samplers+cigars

    ReplyDelete