Like It

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Nica Libre Diplomatico Cigar and Detroit Brewing Chocolate Stout: Review

The Cigar
Nica Libre Diplomatico
Wrapper: San Andres Maduro
Binder: Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 7 x 50 box press
My Strength Rating: 4.5
I have not smoked this size yet but, the two sizes I have tried I have not been impressed.  See Nica Libre Torpedo posting.

Off the light I detect a dusting of dry cocoa powder and mild coffee. 

By mid-point the flavor profile is still the same.  I could throw in a dry soil earthiness.  Actually, I have to admit I kind of like this one.  The overall taste profile of the Torpedo came across boring to me.  I’ll do another review on that one soon. 

Down the finish: All the same.  This cigar is consistent. 

To the Point: This is a nice consistent medium bodied smoke with a touch of cocoa powder, mild coffee, and a soil earthiness.  The texture is dry yet smooth in its delivery. 

The Stout
Detroit Brewing Chocolate Stout
Sanders fine chocolate
Brewed and Bottle for Detroit Brewing Company
By: Detroit Rivertown Brewing Company
7.8% abv
My Strength Rating:4.5

There is a bite of roasted coffee and a touch of chocolate on the nose.

The body is black with some cola highlights.  There is a good looking tan head.

The overall taste is okay to good.  A nice touch of dark chocolate greets the palate.  As the stout warms there is a roasted mild-medium coffee note but not that strong.  There seems to be a good balance between the bitter and sweet notes. 

Not a strong stout. Not a creamy stout. A good introductory chocolate stout.
There is a lingering aftertaste of bitter dark chocolate. 
Overall an average, at best, stout.  I have never had this stout before and I was hoping for more from the stout. 

To the Point: A good introductory chocolate stout. 


Damn, this is one long cigar

The Pairing
These two seem to help one another.  The mild coffee notes of the cigar help the coffee flavors of the stout.  The dry cocoa powder note of the cigar mixes well with the dark chocolate profile of the stout.  Each of these products by themselves seemed okay to good.  Together I say this is a good pairing.  

I have five more of these beers left and I think I’ll pair them with the rest of the Nica Libre’s I have left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment