Like It

Friday, February 5, 2010

Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan and Bad Beer

Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan Double Maduro
Aldaris Porteris Lager


The Beer
I have to admit, I have never had this beer before. I bought it to just get the bottle cap. Reading the reviews on beeradvocat.com I was warned about the ‘sweetness.’ Oh yes, sweet it is! So, maybe a cigar will tame this sweetness and bring out some other notes. A few more sips before choosing the cigar to smoke and all I still get is sweetness. I want to water the grass with this beer but, I’ll do the cigar to kill my curiosity.

The Cigar
I choose one of my favorites, the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Maduro Sultan. I have never thought of the Sultan as sweet, even though it has a maduro wrapper. I have always enjoyed the coffee and nice roasty notes. Not a complex cigar and it is not as full flavored as it is marketed. To me it is a nice 5.5 or maybe a 6 on my strength scale. It is a very good quality cigar that has a nice range to go with a variety of food and drink. Always a nice ash and even burn throughout the smoking experience.

During the pairing I still get the sweetness of the beer and it transfers that sweetness to the cigar. I don’t seem to notice the coffee and toasty notes of the cigar during this pairing. But, I get a slight roasty malty note from the beer in the exchange. Not enough to keep this experiment going. Still nothing, but sweetness. Sadness comes over me.

It is time to put the beer on the grass and hope that it does not kill the grass by spring.
I hope the taste buds are not killed and I can open another beer to bring back joy to my life.

Glad to report the grass still looks ok but, it is still winter out.

The taste buds are recouping and the cigar is tasting normal again so, on to the next beer.

This beer is suspect from the get go. It is from a sampler pack, probably bought from a department store, which I received as a gift from my sister. Piedmont Porter? Sure – Whatever. Let’s give it a try.

Taste ok, but after that last beer - battery acid - would probably taste good. I sure hope I didn’t kill that little spot of grass - the dogs do a good enough job on their own.

A sub-pair shot at being a porter. Plenty of watery notes with a little toast. Not creamy. I like creamy. But, it does not hurt the cigar, thank goodness. If the walk to the beer fridge was shorter I would pour this on the grass as well. Life is too short to drink boring beer.


All is well; my cigar is fine with this bad experiment is over.

See posting with 'Mild Stout'
See posting with 'dunkel'
See posting with 'Double Abbey'

No comments:

Post a Comment