Like It

Saturday, April 2, 2011

CAO Italia Ciao: Cigar Review

Wrapper: Honduran Habano-seed
Binder:  Honduran
Fillers: Nicaragua, Peru, and of course Italy
Size: 5 x 56
My Strength Rating: 7.5

I have always liked the Brazilia line-up of CAO cigars over this Italia line-up.  Due to that opinion of mine I have not smoked many of these Italia’s.  So, let’s start with this little stick.  
Off the light: nice touch of earthy tones for a couple of puffs and then some spice enters the picture.  The spice reminds me of a fine grind black pepper at first and then it builds to a coarse black peppery bite.  On this first third there is a mineral soil earthy profile mixed in with the spice.  I also like the espresso like coffee notes. 

The burn on this cigar is a little rough on this first third and the ash is really rugged. 


Here is a good example of a cigar that tunnels, burns in the center and not burning well at the binder or wrapper.


I have this CAO Italia paired up with a full bodied coffee; French Roast by Biggby Coffee.  And, this is a good pairing. 

As the stick approaches the halfway point the bold black pepper bite calms down but, don’t get me wrong it does not go away.  I still enjoy the earthy notes and the bold coffee taste.  I am asking myself at this point, ‘why I didn’t smoke more of these cigars?’ 

The texture on the first third of the cigar was definitely more wool like due to the strong peppery profile.  The texture seems to settle down a bit during the mid-point as the pepper notes calm down. 
The body weight comes across as medium-full. 

I still have to use the lighter to touch up the burning of this cigar. 

The final third: This robust smoke changes on the final third.  The taste moves to more burnt notes.  A scorched earthy profile appears along with a burnt coffee feel.  The bold peppery notes are gone.  It still has a touch of spice.  The mouthfeel is thick with a charcoal like dusting on the tongue.   I think it is this finish that I like the CAO Brazilia better. 

To the Point: I really liked the first two-thirds of this stick.  The final third a bit too dry and burnt on the palate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment