Like It

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Fuente Anejo Cigar and CIGARZIN 2007 Zinfandel


The Cigar

A Fuente Anejo
Wrapper: 5 year old Connecticut Maduro; aged in cognac barrels
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Size: 7 x 48
My Strength Rating: 5.5

I personally don’t get the cognac taste but, that is ok. It has a good earthy coffee profile that I like. There is a good spice and oaky note that plays on the palate. I may be in the minority here but, I think this cigar is a little overrated. For a stick that will run you about $20.00 – I can think of others that have a similar profile for half the price. Don’t get me wrong here it is a quality smoke. There is an elegant style to the texture that is smooth and enjoyable. I had two of these left over from last year’s release. I smoked the other one a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Today, I have my last one planned for this pairing.

The Wine

Cigarzin 2007 Zinfandel

Bottled by: Cosentino Winery, Woodbridge, California, USA.

This 15.4% abv zin has a wonderful bouquet of dark fruits, spice, and mild pepper. The taste follows the nose. Layers of dark fruit: blackberry, cherries, boysenberry, and more. The nice spice mingles with the mushroom-earthy style and the green peppercorn note is just right for me. My Strength Rating: 6. The mouthfeel is smooth and elegant. This Zin leaves a pleasing aftertaste of dark berries on the palate.

Since this wine does not have a big earthy, thick, jammy style it should have a good range to handle most cigars in the mild-medium to medium-full range. Going to the full range my override the elegant style of this wine.

The Pairing

This is a very good pairing. The two are within my point range of each other; the Zin scores a 6 and the Anejo Cigar scores a 5.5 on my strength scale. The spicy notes mingle well together and do not overwhelm. The berry-fruity taste of the wine plays well with the earthy-medium coffee profile of the cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment