Like It

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Punch Gran Puro Santa Rita and Scrimshaw: Pairing

Scrimshaw

Pilsner Style Beer

12oz bottle
$1.69 a bottle only bought two
Fort Bragg, California, USA
Northcoast Brewing Company

Appearance: a nice white head sits on top of a brassy-golden color body.  Some foamy lacing and there is a thin layer of head floating atop the beer.  A deeper body color than I would expect for a pilsner.

Aroma: not much, slight B.O. note, yes to me a faint body odor but, it is not a bad one.  The second bottle was more yeasty and doughy like on the nose.

Flavors and Mouthfeel: a touch of malty sweetness on deliver, grainy, fruity, mineral water, with a mild-medium bitter note.  A Fairly crisp and somewhat refreshing pilsner.  Brewer’s yeast lingers on the aftertaste.

Not too often I will do a cigar pairing with a pilsner but, this one I think I will.  There is a nice overall character to this pilsner. 

My Strength Rating: 3.5


The Cigar

Punch Gran Puro Santa Rita

Honduran Puro
Wrapper from San Agustin Valley
With sungrown binder and filler tobaccos
4.5 x 52 in size

I have never had this little one before.  I like its big brother the Sesenta, which measures in at 6.2 x 60.  So, let’s see how this one measures up. 

Damn, I just looked for a review on Sesenta on my blog and I have never reviewed that dog.  I’ll bet I have some in my humidor to review. 


Off the Light: rich tobacco and portabella mushroom like earthiness.  As the smoke continues there is a bit of white pepper, sage and mushroom earthiness. 

The Scrimshaw Pilsner is very refreshing with this stick.  Here on the first half of the cigar (it’s only 4 inches long), it seems that the cigar picks up the body of the pilsner.  The touch of white pepper from the cigar brings out a bit of spiciness in the Scrimshaw.  I it is the white pepper like quality from the cigar just mingling with the pilsner as it swirls around on the palate. 

The first half of the cigar was pleasing.  Nothing too spicy or too strong.  I would have to say it is medium bodied at best to me.  I also like to call the taste profile of this cigar as, ‘classic cigar tobacco taste.’ 

The Second Half:  the white pepper picked up for a little bit as it passed the mid-point.  The earthy tones seemed a little thicker and more soil like than mushroom. 

The pilsner seems to be a good pairing with this cigar.  Neither are complex and the flavor profiles really don’t interfere with one another.  This is a good pairing to just sit back and relax with on a summer day.  The mouthfeel is medium overall during this pairing and does not leave you wanting water to cleanse your palate. 

The cigar ended some earthy tones like forest floor.

My Strength Rating: 5 – simple, straight forward, one could call it uneventful.

No comments:

Post a Comment