Like It

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vega Talanga Reserva En Tercio Corojo Series and Double T 2006 Red Wine

The Wine

Double T 2006
Trefethen Family Vineyards
Napa, California, USA
TREFETHEN.com

Here is what they have on the bottle: “…Cabernet Sauvignon gives depth and structure: Merlot adds a lively spiciness, Cabernet Franc floral fruit, Petit Verdot intense color, and Malbec a silky softness.”

This is my last bottle of this wine. I bought a six pack a couple of years ago and I have to say I have always enjoyed this wine. This wine should be paired with game, steak, filet mignon, lamb, and other hearty fare. This wine is also deserving of a bold cigar as an after dinner treat.

Appearance: Deep purple body with deep ruby edges.

Aroma: Big berry, light spice; it is just terrific with each sip.

Flavors: Big bold dark berry profile; the blackberry and black currant notes are thick; good spice and earthy notes to fill the palate; the earthy notes to me seem to include a portabella mushroom and forest floor like quality. The dry soil just adds to the texture of this bold red wine. An undertone of floral comes into play; it is just a hint of violet. The dryness of the mouthfeel along with all these wonderful flavors mingle together and make me think of a rich 87% dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: The feel is full bodied. The berry profile makes it a little jammy; the earthy qualities coats the tongue. There is a long aftertaste of these two on palate.

Tonight I am going to give this wine an 8 on My Strength Rating Scale. Big bold flavors, jammy mouthfeel, dry texture, earthy notes coat the palate for a long aftertaste.

Tonight I was rummaging through my humidor and I came across some cigars that I have not had in a long time. I don’t even know if these cigars are still on the market. I always liked these cigars. And, not only was it a good value cigar, it was just plain and simple a good cigar. I wish I had purchased more of them.

The Cigar

The cigar is Vega Talanga Reserva En Tercio Corojo Series. This cigar band has the brown label. This toro is a 6 x 60 big boy. The earthy, nutty, dry spice, and light pepper notes are always pleasing. The nutty note reminds me of walnut. The earthy notes to me come across like mushroom and hardwood. The light pepper has a musty white pepper like quality.

This cigar always burns perfectly, holds a solid gray ash, and I cannot remember ever having a bad one. I also think this cigar has gotten better with age.

This cigar should pair up well with this wine.

By the way don’t go out of your way looking for this cigar – I don’t think they make it anymore.

The Pairing

This is one terrific pairing. I love bold wines and bold cigars and this is it! Just look at the word profile of each of these and you will see why this is such a good pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment