Like It

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Drew Estate Undercrown Gran Toro: Review


I’ll admit it right here and now; I am not a Drew Estate fan.  I still have night mares about when their cigars first hit the market.  Jan (the owner then) of Trader Tom’s handed me a cigar with glitter and some stinky incense type smell to the cigar. All I could say to her was, “Really, you want me to smoke a cigar with glitter on it.”  I smoked about half of it from what I remember.  That cigar was from their Acid line of cigars.  Needless to say I am not a fan of the Acid line.

Now, let’s look at this real cigar.  I have heard good things about it and Joe from Smoky’s of Northville says, ‘I think this is great!’  Just don’t ask him to spell great. 

Wrapper: San Andreas Otapan Negro Último Corte
Binder: T52 Connecticut River Valley Stalk Cut & Cured Habano
Fillers: Brazilian Mata Fina and Nicaraguan
Size: 6 x 52
$9.99 at Smoky’s of Northville (Michigan TAX)
Take away the Michigan tax and it would be around 8 bucks.

Off the Light and First Half: a mild-medium earthy flavor with a touch of sweet grains.  As the smoke continues there is a nice toasted wheat and rye style to me; a mild-medium coffee note that is tasty; that touch of sweet grains is still swirling around the medium earthy tone; there is a hint of green peppercorn spice.  The mouthfeel has a smooth leathery texture … maybe a little more like suede.  I’ll give it a 4 on my strength scale.

Second Half: damn this stick puts out the smoke.  Tons of smoke while smoking it and all it does is keep emitting smoke while sitting on the ashtray.  The earthy style starts to show a deeper soil like note; the coffee builds in strength to a medium roast; I don’t notice the sweet grains or much spice at this point; the grains have a more toasted quality.  The texture is more leathery on the palate during the second half.  I’ll give it 5 on my strength scale. 


This cigar paired well with the Biggby Costa Rica Blend which is a medium roast coffee. 

To the Point: a very good smoke.  Not that complex and that is not a bad thing.  I like the mouthfeel of this smoke.  I’ll be buying more.  


1 comment:

  1. I have retyped this post and it still shows up with those lines. A few posts ago the font showed up in black. Go figure. I'll try to redue it again at a latter date.

    ReplyDelete