Like It

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Black Crown Robusto Cigar



Wrapper: Honduran Habano
Binders: yes, two: Honduran Habano and Nicaraguan Ligero
Fillers: Seven different long filler from Central America
Size: 5 x 50

It is interesting how things work out sometimes.  Usually I end up on the day late and dollar short side but, not this time.  I was planning to buy a five pack of the Black Crown Cigar ($23.00) and buy a new lighter.  The lighter I was planning on buying was the Bugatti B-2002 Dual Flame Lighter which was selling for $49.00.  That would be $72.00 plus shipping and handling.

Two days later I see the ‘week-end spotlight’:  A box of 20 Robusto Black Crown cigars for $79.00 plus a free Bugatti B-2002 Dual Flame Lighter and free shipping to boot.

Today they showed up on the door step.  Let’s give one a review but, remember they just showed up today.  In the winter months I like to give the cigars a little time in the humidor to readjust from the shipping process so, this should not be a problems here in October. 

Appearance: nice looking stick, brown leather like look and a nice sheen.

Off the Light: nice and spicy; reminds me of spicy cedar and cracked black pepper.  As the smoke continues there is a good earthy tone of forest floor (dried leafs, fertile soil and cedar wood). Solid full bodied experience on the first inch or so; the spice profile is the most dominate at the point.  As the burn approached the mid-point of this robusto the spice settled a little – just a little. I am going to give this stogie an 8 on my strength scale; just making the full bodied range.   

Second Half: the spice settles a little more and the earthy tones start to show a little more.  To me there is a French roast coffee likeness here on the second half.  The description that I read on this cigar had ‘toasted peanuts and cocoa.’  I did not pick either one of those out on this stick.  I wish I did for that sounds really good to me.    

On the final two inches of the smoke the cigar really balances out with the earthy tones being the main profile and the spice playing a secondary role.  For my strength rating I’ll give it a 7 which is medium-full. 

To the Point: I do not like buying a box of cigars that I have never tried before but the deal that I described above I just could not pass it up.  I really like the cigar right off the bat.  I like a spicy smoke that leans toward the full side and the first half was just that.  I like the change during the second half of the smoke for that strong spicy profile could get be a little too much all the way through. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this smoke.  I would recommend the Black Crown Robusto to anybody who likes a spicy medium-full to full cigar.  I am happy with this box purchase.  


12-10-12 Lighter update: I have had a chance to use this now and this lighter is ... useless.  Yes, useless!  The fuel tank does not hold much to start with and after lighting a cigar or two it will be out of fluid. If you think Colibri is bad wait till you use this Bugatti.  Save your money.  Use a match.

No comments:

Post a Comment