Like It

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Curivari El Gran Rey Emperadores: Review



This Nicaraguan puro is made with Cuban seed Criollo and Corojo tobaccos.  Here is the skinny according to their web site on the El Gran Rey: this ‘full-bodied cigar is rich and spicy, exquisitely balanced, with a core of sweet spices, caramel, honey and a long, complex finish.’

The El Gran Rey comes in three different sizes:
Emperadores 5 x 50 which I’ll be reviewing
Belicosos 5 3/8 x 52
Prominentes 6 ½ x 50

College Football Bowl Games start today. 
Here are my picks for the games today. 
Temple over Wyoming; Wyoming is going to need more than the 6-1/2 points. 
Ohio over Utah State; Ohio is only getting 2-1/2 points but, I think they show up today to finish the game.
La.-Lafayette over San Diego State; I think the 5 point spread gets Lafayette the win. 

I bought two of these Emperadores and I smoked one of them yesterday.  Let’s see how it reviews today. 

11:52 am
Off the Light: light soil and a hint of floral.  As the smoke continues that hint of floral has a little perfumy taste.  About four minutes into the smoke a touch of spice starts to appear.   As the spice starts to develop some character it reminds me of green peppercorn.  I am looking for the sweet notes that they used to describe this cigar and I don’t notice any yet (20 minutes into the smoke).


The cigar is holding a slightly ruff salt and pepper colored ash.  The picture shows a ¾ inch ash.  I removed the ash at the one inch point. 

The floral note that I noticed, off the light of the cigar, seems to come and go.  I am not getting that perfume note thank god.  During this first half there is a nice rich soil and dry leafs that swirl around that green peppercorn spicy quality.   I’ll have to give this a 5.5 on my strength scale.

Second Half: as the smoke enters the second half the floral note is a little more consistent but, it is not strong.  One might make an argument for a roasted caramel note.  It is so settle that I don’t think it is much of a factor.  There is a toasted rye bread quality along with that soil, dry tobacco leaf, and that peppery style is reminding me of a dusty white pepper at this point.  The strength rating is still in the medium range.  I’ll give it a 5 on my strength scale. 

My Strength Rating: 5 overall.  Medium bodied at best. 

To the Point: an okay smoking experience.  I liked the second half better for I did not get that perfumy note as I did during the first inch or so.   

No comments:

Post a Comment