Like It

Thursday, December 23, 2010

CAO La Traviata Maduro and Arbor Brewing's Dirty Love


Arbor Brewing Dirty Love


Stout Brewed With Coffee
Barrel-aged Espresso Love with a dash of chocolate, chipotle, and vanilla

?? abv - Probably 6.5% like their Espresso Love
No tasting notes to be found on the beer.
1pt 9.4 oz bottle
Arbor Brewing Company-Corner Brewery
Ypsilanti, Michigan, USA
Arborbrewing.com

This stout has a blackish body with some brown highlights. A fine tan head sits on top when poured and does not stay around long and leaves no lacing on the glass. With only a few ounces in the glass the beer looks more brownish on the edges – almost cola like.

The aroma is green apple when I popped the cork. When poured into the glass it must be the chipotle spice and touch of oak that gives it that tart aroma. There is a touch of coffee on the nose. The aroma is light but, interesting.

On my first sip, I think I like this stout – let’s see. The chipotle spice comes through on the taste and lingers on the gums for a spicy aftertaste. A sweet-sour, ying-yang, profile is happening here. There is a little vinegar tartness on the front with a sweet note to give it some balance. This is making me think of the chipotle vinegar that I use for cooking. There is a medium coffee profile that is pleasing. They say, ‘a dash of chocolate’ and that would be it ‘a dash’ for it is hard to identify. I like the hint of vanilla and touch of oak that is more of an undertone.

The texture does not make me think of a stout for it seems thin. I don’t get a thick or creamy mouthfeel as I would expect from a stout.

Despite the mouthfeel, I like this brew.

The Cigar
CAO La Traviata Maduro
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder: Cameroon
Filler: Nicaragua and Dominican Republic
Size: 7 x 50 Churchill
My Strength Rating: 5

This nice shiny maduro looks good enough to eat. I like the sweet maduro taste that floats around the earthy coffee, touch of chocolate, dark dried fruits (fig, raisin like), and a pecan nutty like note. The sweet note mingles well with the spice.

As the cigar approaches the mid-point I notice more of a musty white peppercorn profile. The sweet maduro and nutty notes are still present along with the medium-full earthy coffee taste. I don’t notice the touch of chocolate or the dark dried fruits at this point. The mouthfeel is smooth and semi-dry.

The Pairing
I think these two should work well together or just be a big bust. I think the spicy chipotle and the tart notes of the stout should balance well with the sweet maduro and nutty, earthy notes of the cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment