Like It

Friday, May 18, 2012

Partagas Decadas 1998 Cigar and Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old: Review



Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
43% abv
Dalwhinnie Distillery
Dalwhinnie, Inverness-Shire, Scotland
$60+ a bottle - I didn't write down the actual price

Always interesting info on a box and here it is:
What are the six classic malt whisky making regions?
Highland
West Highland
Islay
Skye
Speyside
Lowland

I did not know the six regions and ask me in six months and I still won’t remember.

Let’s get on to the review

Appearance: light golden

Nose: very light bouquet, after a swirl of the glass and a sip of the whisky a soft baked pear with a drizzle of honey and a dash of ginger.  Damn, I am going to try making that. Let me through in a little oak and a faint touch of smoke.

Flavors: boy, do I like this!  It is smooth and mellow.  It is most elegant in its style.  A light warmth greets the palate with a creamy vanilla-honey biscuit sliding over the first third of the tongue.  Light sweet grains and sea grass on the mid and the light warmth continues.  The finish has a pleasing warmth and touch of spice – a light ginger spice and warmth.  The aftertaste has a short light spice and warmth. There is a light smoky feel that floats over the flavors as I inhale on the sip and exhale on the swallow. 

If you are not thinking about this little Scotch you would say it is just mellow. 


The Cigar

Partagas Decadas 1998
I am at my summer place and I only have about 25 cigars with me and none of them have the elegant style that I am thinking of for this Dalwhinnie. 

I do have a cigar that a student gave me.  It is the Partagas Decadas 1998 and it retails for $20.39 and comes in a glass tube.  Maybe, the student thought that leaving the price would help with his grade – well, he didn’t need my help.  He was damn good all on his own. 

Let’s get to this cigar.  I have never had this Partagas before and after I review it I’ll look up and see if anybody else has reviewed it.

Off the Light: light spice that reminds me of a dash of white pepper and a pinch of ginger.  As the burn continues a nice woody tone appears to give the flavor some structure. 


Now, it is time for a sip of the Dalwhinnie.  Oh boy, this is a treat.  That sweet vanilla-honey biscuit still slides over the tongue on the deliver but, I think the spice on the Scotch gets kicked up a tad while pairing it with the cigar. 

Mid-Point: nice meaty toasted tobacco leafs and rich soil on main profile.  The spice is still in play with good touch of cedar twang.  This Partagas has some style. 

This pairing is going so well that I am heading out to the campfire pit and finishing this stick with the Dalwhinnie.  



No comments:

Post a Comment