Like It

Sunday, March 30, 2014

The 2014 March Matching Results

In the set-up of this 2014 March Matching I predicted which beverage would pair well with the Casa Magna Cigar.  Here were the pre-game odds and what I said about the match up.


(2-1 odds) The cigar should pair exceptionally well with the Wee Heavy Barrel Aged Ale.
(3-1 odds) I imagine the flavors of the Malbec wine should be a perfect fit for this cigar.
(5-1 odds) The Boucanier Golden Ale should be a nice pairing but, the cigar might be a bit too strong and mask some of the ales delicate flavors.
(9-1 odds) I envision the cigar overpowering the medium-light body of the Kostritzer Schwarzbier.
(20-1 odds) I expect the cigar will collide with the IPA bitterness of the Double Bastard.

The only for sure bet I see is the IPA being paired up with a bold robust cigar is a sure loser but, the horse track won’t let me or you bet on who will lose – I wish they would – I would bet on that three legged horse every time! 


If this was the set-up at the horse track I would watch the show pool money (third place bets) and I would bet some big bucks on Biere du Boucanier Golden Ale to come in third place.  If there is some light wagering (little money) on it – go for it – it should give you the best return on your money. 

Here are the results:
Last place (5th): I was right Double Bastard – an IPA and a peppery cigar never works
4th place: Cigar Box Malbec Wine – the experience was just flat – no gitty up here
3rd place: Boucanier Golden Ale – nice performance – pleasing experience – but the big boys came out to play today.
OH NO a photo finish:
I thought the Wulver nosed out the Kostritzer beer but the photo shows a clear tie at the wire.  Two different experiences – both super in their pairing – what will it be.


Damn, I’ll have to have a taste off between these two.  Damn I hate this.  I’ll have to drink two more beers and smoke two more cigars to see which one is the best.  If you have money on the Kostritzer beer stay tuned she is a 9-1 money maker for you if she wins. 


I poured the beverages and lit the cigar up.  I paired the Kostritzer first.  After the first couple inches of the cigar all I can say is this is one nice smooth and tasty pairing.  What I wrote before about this pairing is still the same.
Next, I start sipping the Wulver.  This is a much fuller bodied pairing.  All the flavors I wrote about on this pairing are in play here.  This is bold and tasty. 


The winner: 

Kostritzer Schwarzbier by a whisker. 

Find your favorite cigar and pair it up with a variety of beverages and let your taste buds explore the possibilities.



No comments:

Post a Comment