Like It

Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Cigar and Beer Review: CAO Anaconda and Perkulator Coffee Dobblebock

CAO Anaconda and Perkulator

What a great way to spend a Sunday, drinking beer, smoking a cigar and listening to Red Wing Hockey. Okay, I am not reviewing the Red Wings this season – too many injuries but, accept this season for what it is.

The cigar: I love this size. If I want a little more spiciness I’ll reach for the box-press size. This size, the Anaconda, has a nice rich dark chocolate (70% cocoa type), spice and coffee notes with nothing bitter. A perfect medium-full style mouthfeel to me.

The beer: Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock by Dark Horse Brewing Company. 7.5% abv. Oh, yes! Coffee! No her name is not coffee. Just good coffee notes hitting my palate along with good sweet caramel maltiness and dark fruit undertones. I was hoping for a little fuller style from this dobblebock but, this is a very drinkable beer. I’ll give it a 5 – medium mouthfeel. Nice smooth character and it does not linger on the palate.

The pairing: this is a great pairing. It’s not about the strength rating here – it is all about the flavor profiles from these two. The sweet caramel compliments the sweet maduro smoke. I am enjoying the coffee style from each as well as the other notes as I consume this pairing.


The wet mouthfeel from the ale refreshes the palate as I puff the big Anaconda. I have been smoking this for an hour and a half now and I don’t want it to end. I think the mouthfeel of the beer keeps the strength of the cigar to a 6 rating during this session.

If you are a fan of this cigar, I recommend making this pairing. I surly enjoyed this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment