Like It

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Pinar del Rio Toro Habano and Crew Cabernet Franc 2008: Pairing

The Cigar

Pinar del Rio Toro Habano
Habano Sun Grown
Liga Cubana No. 5
Wrapper: Dominican Republic Habano Sun Grown
Binder: Criollo ’98 from Dom.
Fillers: Nicaraguan and Dom. Rep.
Size: 6 x 50

This cigar starts off with a nice Habano spicy flavor.  The spice reminds me of green peppercorn.  There is a good earthy tone with a touch of woody notes that help to give it some body.  I’ll give it a 6/6.5 on my strength scale. 

I think this Toro size is not as bold as the Short Gordo that I have reviewed before.  I just stopped to look at the one inch ash and it fell right in my lap so, I guess the inch mark is a good time to remove the ash.  It is a nice tight gray ash before it drops in your lap.  That is why I keep a hand vac in my smoking room.  The burn has been even to this point. 

By the mid-point the peppery spice has settled.  The dusty earthy tone remains with a mild-medium coffee note and a sweet woody character.  I think I’ll give it a 5/5.5 on my strength scale here at the mid-point.

The cigar is pretty much like the mid-point as it smokes through the final third.  It is a little more robust in body. 

To the Point: this is a pretty good Habano wrapped cigar for the price.    


The Wine

Crew Cabernet Franc 2008
Colchester Ridge Estate Winery (Crew)
Harrow, Ontario, Canada
13.8% abv
$17.80 from the winery (Canadian $)

Appearance: bright ruby body with a big ruby-red edge

Aroma: berries with a touch of light spice, the bouquet is light overall

Flavors: red berries that remind me of currant, cranberry, and a hint of raspberry; sweet cherry, mulberry, and a touch of brown spice box.   

Mouthfeel: touch of acidity, a tart note from the cranberry like flavor; soft feel overall, a bit of a watery edge.


The Pairing

This wine is perfect with this cigar.  The spicy quality of the cigar needs this wine with its smooth and soft body style.  The cigar covers the wines little watery edge and focuses on the tasty berries from the wine.  The earthy style of the cigar gives the wine a little body itself. 

I thought this wine would be good with a spicy and earthy cigar and I am right.  Please tell my wife! 

For two okay to decent products this turned out to be an enjoyable pairing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment