Like It

Monday, July 26, 2010

Casa Magna Toro Cigar and Ghettoblaster: Review

The Cigar
Wrapper: Colorado
Binder/Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 6 x 56
My Strength Rating: 5
Nothing super special here but, it is a good value. I have to admit I think it is an average cigar at best but, I like this average cigar. I can think of a bunch of average cigars that I would never buy but, I do return to buy this one. Around two years ago when this cigar came out they gave the title ‘cigar of the year’ in a cigar magazine. That company must have bought a lot of advertising that year in the magazine.

This cigar has a solid earthy, portabella mushroom meaty like quality, and a dry medium coffee style. At times I find hints of white pepper spice. To me this cigar is pretty consistent throughout the smoking experience. I have always enjoyed smoking this cigar with a good beer.

The Beer
Ghettoblaster by: Motor City Brewing Works
Go to BeerPostings2 and see my full review on this beer. Dated: July 20, 2010.
This English style mild ale has a very low abv at 4.2%. This ale pours a light translucent amber color with a thin head. There is no lacing left on the glass while drinking this ale. The nose came across as malty and grainy with a slight roasty note underneath when first poured. After that it is rather plain on the nose with each sip.

There seems to be a roasty malt and a slight bitter pecan shell like taste. The bottle reads, ‘…clean biscuit-like maltiness, and wine like fruitiness.’ Wine like? Really. No cherry or dark cherry; blackberry or blueberry; red or black currant; what fruit? It is Ghettoblaster so they must be referring to Boones Farm type wine.  If my wine tasted like this I would not drink wine. I can buy the “clean biscuit-like maltiness.” I could understand maybe a date or dark dry raisin like fruit.

This ale has a big watery edge. It is a mild ale so, there would be a solid watery profile. There are moments when I think it has a little English Ale like quality, then it is gone and I am left thinking ‘what is that taste.’
The watery edge of the ale should make it work with a cigar.

The Pairing
These two average products do work with each other. They are within the two points I recommend for strength ratings. The Ale I would give it a 3.5 or 4 strength rating and the cigar is a 5. The watery edge does help to refresh the palate while smoking this cigar. The flavors don’t interfere with each other. The earthy style of the cigar helps the ale a little bit. I think it helps the roasty malt character of this ale.
This is a nice pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment