Like It

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Camacho Triple Madura 60/6 and Kpachbin Boctok Red East Extra: Review

The Cigar

I love full-flavored cigars and I have great expectations here. I matched up the Camacho Triple Maduro 6/60 for my after dinner treat. This 6 inch and 60 ring gage giant is a wonderful cigar. People are intimidated by this cigar. They think the fullness is going to kick their butt. BUT, that is why you should smoke the 60 ring gage and not the smaller ring gages. The larger ring gage will give you a cooler smoke and the flavor is amplified. The smaller ring gages in this line I would rate higher in strength and it is all due to the diameter of the cigar because they are made with the same tobaccos.

I give this cigar, one of my favorites, an 8 on my strength scale. This cigar delivers a nice balance of rich spicy notes with a sweet peppery taste that lingers for a great full-flavored taste.

The Beer
The beer pours a nice looking white head with a golden color body. There is no lacing left on the glass from the head or while drinking this beer. The aroma is a very pleasant sweet caramel and yeast. The taste is straight up caramel sweetness. After the first two sips I think this is pretty refreshing. As I continue with this beer, I think of sugar dipped summertime fruits and caramel. This is a pretty light bodied beer. I am thinking about a 3.5 or 4 strength rating.

The Pairing
I wanted to do a solid chocolate profile type cigar but, this big baby kept calling me. I am concerned that it will be to full for this beer and overpower its light nature. But, the big sweet caramel and fruit are strong enough to play with this big boy cigar. Actually, they complement each other extremely well. The sweetness of the beer brings out the sweetness of the Maduro tobaccos. The dry cocoa and full bodied coffee notes of the cigar mix well with the flavors of the beer. I like the fullness of this cigar with smooth sweet nature of the Red East Extra. The beer keeps the palate refreshed from this strong cigar. The mouthfeel is very enjoyable during this pairing. This is a worthy experience. But, I am afraid of this beer all by itself because of its overwhelming sweetness. For me, this beer needs something to balance its sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment