Like It

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pinar del Rio Clasico Gordo: Review


Clasico Exclusivo
Wrapper: Connecticut Shade from Ecuador
Fillers: Nicaraguan and Dominican
Size: 4.5 x 60

I bought this sampler pack of this small Gordo size when CI had them on special (15 for 30 bucks).  I have never had this lineup before so it sounded like a good deal.  A week after getting them I sampled each type of wrapper; the Connecticut Shade, Habano Sun Grown, and the Oscuro.  I have to admit that I liked each one that I tried.  Now, it is review time. 

This size is not in the regular offerings, I’ll have to measure, but I think it is a 4.5 x 60 stick. 

Off the light: good oak quality and dry leafs.  As the burn continues there is a dry roasted coffee note that is mild-medium.  There is ample smoke with each puff that seems smooth in its delivery.  The oak profile is front and center during this first half.  You could make the argument for a toasted almond and walnut blended note.  To me there seems to be a light rye bread quality. 

This cigar reminds me of one of my favorite oaky type cigars the Hoyo Excalibur #1. 

Second Half: The oak profile remains front and center.  The earthy note reminds me of dry leafs and grains. The mild-medium coffee is still swirling around.  The delivery is still smooth yet dry in texture.  I smoked this one down to the nub and the notes never became bitter or burnt. 

My Strength Rating: 5 – a firm medium bodied smoke.  The oaky quality really comes through. 

To the Point: if you like medium bodied smokes this is a must try.  The cigar is not complex but, is an enjoyable smoke.   

I would like to pair this with an oaked Chardonnay, try it with an IPA or a bold red wine.  I don’t think I have paired an IPA with an oaky style cigar before.  I recommend a cigar that is earthy in profile and if you can get a hint of floral in the mix even better.  I just wonder how the oak would mingle with a citrusy IPA.         

Look for the reviews on the other two

No comments:

Post a Comment