Like It

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Wine & Cigar Pairing: Macanudo 1968 Gigante Cigar and Lyeth 2007 Meritage Red Wine

The Cigar
Wrapper: Honduran
Binder: Connecticut Habano
Filler: Dom. Rep., Nicaragua, Ometepe
Size: 6 x 60
My Strength Rating: 6/6.5
I have avoided this cigar for a long time. A Macanudo at $12.00 a stick, here in Michigan, and I know what I am going to get – a Macanudo! Now, back in the 1980’s when I started to smoke premium cigars, I started with Macanudos and Royal Jamaicans’. But, that lasted a few years until I was off to other cigars. I would have to say it has been 15 years since I have tried one and the only reason I had one then was because I had not had one in 5 or 6 years. Then, one day at the cigar store my dentist was smoking one and I asked him what he thought. He said it was very good. Then, I saw the price tag, $12.75 – I almost fell over. Mark orders off the kiddy menu at a fine dining restaurant to save a buck. Damn, that must be ‘very good’ then! I was in that humidor like a bolt of lightning and found that there were three left on the shelf and of course I bought all three.

I like how the cigar starts off with a smooth earthy and coffee profile. There seems to be a light sweet cedar note that adds some character. With each puff there is a nice tangy feel on the tongue.

By the halfway point of the cigar, the rich and robust style continues. There is a solid meaty earthiness that fills the palate with each puff. The sweet cedar is a nice undertone to the earthy nature of this cigar. I have only dropped one ash so far and I have a good two inch ash hanging on right now.

The final third: The boldness kicks in this final section of the cigar. Burnt hardwood notes, stronger earth and some peppery notes. Now, I need some water to sooth the palate. Too bad I ran out of the wine on the final two inches. The strength rating is kicking up to a solid 7 at this point, maybe a little fuller.

The Wine
You can read the complete review on the posting dated Wednesday, April 14. But, this is a very pleasant tasting wine. It is to me, a mild-medium bodied red wine. I score it a 4 on my strength scale. The cherry and dark berry flavors are light and pleasing.

The Pairing
During the exchanges of the wine and the cigar, the earthy qualities are pronounced and the roasted coffee notes are a little dryer. As for the wine, the dark berry plays more of a role up front and a then the cherry turns to more of a sweet cherry note on the finish. This cigar makes the wine feel a little fuller during this exchange. Okay, I’ll call it a whole 4.5 now. I said, ‘a little.’

I think this wine is a little light for this cigar. The flavors are nice and work together but, this cigar needs a fuller bodied red wine to match up well.

No comments:

Post a Comment