Like It

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hemingway Masterpiece Maduro and Louis M. Martini 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon: Review


A Smooth and Elegant Pairing

The Wine
Louis M. Martini 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley
Napa Valley Reserve
Louis Martini from Sonoma next review
14.6% abv
Louis M. Martini Winery
Healdburg, Sonoma County, California, USA
$27.49 on sale for $23.99 a bottle
Wine Advocate Rating: 91
My Strength Rating: 6 – because of its smooth and elegant style

A restaurant that I frequent carries Louis Martini as their house wine.  It is not this particular one but, it is a tasty Cabernet as well. 

Here are the tasting notes from the bottle: “…aromas of cassis, sweet herbs and hints of pipe tobacco.  On the palate, … black cherries, deep, briary red fruits and old-world complexities…”

This is not 100% Cab.  It is a blend of 82% Cabernet, 10% Merlot, and the rest is Petit Sirah and Petit Verdot.  Don’t worry a lot of Cabs and Merlots are actually blended even though they are called; Cabernet or Merlot.


The cigar is as big as the
bottle

Right from the bottle – no decanting
This wine has a wonderful deep purple color that just says, ‘drink me.’ 
The aroma is not all that strong or discerning, red berry like and a touch smoky. 
Right off the tannins are velvety smooth and the wine exhibits flavors of black and red currants, plum, and dry herbs.  The mouthfeel is silky smooth and elegant. 

Second glass decanted
The berry notes are a bit riper with more of a mixed berry aroma.  The smoky note is still present in the aroma.  The flavors are starting to come alive.  I notice a better blackberry, dark cherry style mixed with the currants.  The dry herbs are just a hint with a bit of spice coming into play now.  There is a pleasing dry earthy tone that is helping to build some character.  While the mouthfeel is still smooth and elegant there is a better aftertaste that is coating the palate. 

I hope that store still has this bottle on sale.  I am going there tonight.   

The Cigar
Hemingway Masterpiece Maduro
By: A Fuente
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder: Dominican
Fillers: Dominican
Size: 9” x 52
My Strength Rating: 4.5
$19.79 here in Michigan

Off the Light: A maduro sweet dry earthy profile at the start.
On the first third that sweet maduro and soil earthy profile continued, mixed in with a good medium roast coffee note.  The cigar held a firm dark gray ash. 

The one thing I always like about the Hemingway line-up is that they are an elegant smoke.  May not be the most complex cigar but, they are just a very good quality and elegant smoke. 

The reason I choose this cigar is because I described the wines mouthfeel as elegant and that reminded me that I had a couple of these in the humidor.  This is the perfect time to enjoy this stick.  A quality cigar and a Cabernet - Life is Great!  Since I have about 43 dollars wrapped up in this one review believe me I am going to enjoy this experience.  It will take about 2 ½ to 3 hours to smoke this cigar. 

The Masterpiece came out back in 1988 and I can remember the good old days of the cigar craze, the 90’s, this was one tough cigar to get a hold of.  Good thing I was good friends with my tobacconist.  I always had first dibs. 

As the cigar burns into the 2nd third (had to measure to see if I was there) the mouthfeel is still smooth, rich, and elegant.  The flavors have not really changed as I approach the mid-point.  One hour in at the half-way mark. 

Down the Stretch: The earthy notes are a tad fuller (Hemingway fuller) and the coffee note is more of a medium-dark roast.  While the cigar started off more like velvety smooth it is now let us say smooth.  Damn, this is good. 


The Pairing
This is one smooth and elegant pairing.  I have to admit I do not want it to end.  These two mirror one another so well.  Damn, do I know how to pick a quality pairing – lol.  

The berry notes of the wine mingle so well with the earthy, sweet maduro, and medium roast coffee profile of this cigar.  The mouthfeel during this pairing can be described in one word – rich, pleasing, and have I said ‘elegant.’  Yes, more than one word.  It is just the professor in me. 


This pairing is so smooth that I had to put Dean Martin on my mp3 (showing my age).

This Pairing now That’s Amore! 

About 2 hours and 40 minutes on this cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment