Like It

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Reposado Habano ‘96 and Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast Stout: Pairing

The Cigar

Reposado Habano ‘96
Wrapper: Habano
Fillers: Nicaragua
Size: 7.1 x 58 figurado

I bought this stick a month or so ago and just getting a chance to try it.  I thought I bought the maduro figurado so, I selected an oatmeal stout to pair with it.  After lighting the cigar and a few puffs later I had a strange tasting maduro.  So, I looked at my order and I bought the Habano wrapped cigar.  I don’t know how this will go with my stout – but, I’ll find out in a few minutes.

Off the Light: Easy to light and it is a fine looking stick.  Medium-full pepper strength and a dusty earth profile.  After the first couple of inches the peppery notes start to subside and a nice Habano spiciness is in firm control. 

Mid-Point: a good dry earthy tone dominates, leathery in texture, and that firm spiciness continues to tingles the tongue. 

Down the Stretch: the Habano spiciness has left me, earthy tones of soil and woody notes are the main stay. 

My Strength Rating: 7 – That peppery start plays a big role. 


The Stout

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast
Oatmeal Stout Brewed with Coffee
7.5% abv
1pt 9oz bottle
$10.00 a bottle
Mikkeller
Nogne O Grimstad, Norway

Appearance: black with a tan head that leaves plenty of lacing on the glass.

Aroma: rich roasted malts and coffee

Flavors: nice roasted coffee flavor but then the other flavors are muted or muddled together.  Roasted malts and toasted grains is the best I can come up with.  There is a bitter finish like black walnuts and a dash of saltiness. 

Mouthfeel: heavy in weight, low in carbonation like a stout, bitter on the finish and a thick lingering nasty sour-bitter taste is left on the palate. 

My Strength Rating: 8.5 – it’s that linger aftertaste that raises my strength rating. 

To the Point: skip this one.  Unless you like a very bitter tasting stout. 


The Pairing

This is God Damn awful.  That bitter note and that strange lingering aftertaste just collide with the cigars spice profile.  The beer cost 10 bucks and the cigar 3 bucks and I am pitching the beer.  Not saying much for that beer.

1 comment:

  1. This would accomplish a best cigar for beginners, as well as for boilerplate cigar smokers who adore a flavorful cigar that is not a power bomb.

    havana honeys

    ReplyDelete