Like It

Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Cigar and Wine Review: 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel and Fess Parker 2008 Chardonnay

The Cigar

Wrapper: Connecticut Shade
Filler: Honduran, Dominican
Size: 5 x 55
My Strength Rating: 2.5

These 5 Vegas Golds are very smooth and tasty mild cigars. I usually get a nice mellow oaky flavor and a mild almond like nutty note. They are not complex cigars. They are pretty straight forward. I like this cigar for pairing with mild dishes, white fish or shell fish. They also pair well with pilsners, lagers, other lighter beers and white wine.

If you are a regular full bodied cigar smoker or medium-full bodied, it is time to start to expand your palate for other cigars. If you ever do start to develop your palate for variety, take your time and try to experience the different tasting notes.

The White Wine

Fess Parker 2008 Chardonnay
Santa Barbara County
Fess Parker Winery

On the bottle, ‘Flavors of ripe apple, butter, lemon and melon are perfectly balanced with light toasty oak on the palate.’

They always have a really good written description on their bottles of wine. As a wine drinker I really appreciate a well written description. First, it can help me in the selection of the wine. Then, if I have not had the wine before, it prepares me for some or all of the flavors I am going to experience.

To me this Chardonnay has a nice green apple taste and a slight lemon taste. The lemon is not bitter like ‘lemon rind,’ or puckering like ‘lemon juice.’ It is a very pleasing lemon taste. I could not place the other notes so, that is when I checked the list on the bottle. Melon and butter was left that I did not get.

First the butter, I don’t get it except for a descriptor of the mouthfeel – ‘buttery smooth’. The mouthfeel is smooth like butter. When I started thinking about the melon note that was the other flavor that I could not place. To me it is like a honey dew melon.

This is a perfect white wine for a hot summer day. Very fresh tasting notes and a fine smooth texture to please your palate.

The Pairing

These two are made for each other. Both are excellent mild bodied products. While both are mild they each have a nice flavor profile. The slight oak, nutty, and pleasantly smooth profile of the cigar intermingles well with the fruits, buttery smooth texture, and slight touch of oak of this wine. I highly recommend this pairing on these hot and steamy summer days.

No comments:

Post a Comment