Like It

Saturday, December 11, 2010

5 Vegas Gold Maduro Torpedo and Bell’s Hell Hath No Fury Ale

The Cigar
5 Vegas Gold Maduro Torpedo
Wrapper: Pennsylvania Broadleaf
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Honduran and Nicaraguan
Size: 6 x 54
My Strength Rating: 6
This stick has the same profile as The Brick Gold Maduro by 5 Vegas.

Dryness abounds in this smoking experience. The earthy quality comes across as dry soil and this dominates the profile. There is coffee bean and a dry powdery cocoa note present. The spicy notes are firm with a nice level of white peppercorn to tingle the palate. Besides the dryness the texture it also delivers a semi-smooth yet robust smoking experience. This cigar does need a quality beverage or it could get a little harsh on its own. While this stick is billed as a mild-medium bodied smoke – I give it a 6 on my strength scale because of the texture (the dryness).

I have enjoyed a few of these since I bought some about a month ago. They seem to burn well with little or no correction needed. The ash holds on for an inch or so before you have to remove it. The ash is salt and pepper in color. I have smoked each one down to the nub with no bitterness to the finish.

This cigar is Worthy of consideration.

The Ale
Bell’s Hell Hath No Fury Ale
7.5% abv
12 oz bottle
Bell’s
Comstock, Michigan, USA
Bellsbeer.com

Appearance: Very dark almost black body with a very thin creamy tan head.
Aroma: sweet malts, toasted toffee
Taste: Layers of toasted malts: sweet toffee and caramel. Roasted coffee bean and a low % dark chocolate – 60% dark chocolate type.
Mouthfeel: Thick, almost creamy texture just short of syrupy. Low carbonation. Roasted sweet caramel coffee notes linger on the palate.

This is a sipper! Take your time to enjoy the variety of flavors.

Worth a try.

The Pairing
On the cigar, I have smoked a few to know that all I think of this stick is that it is just an okay cigar to me. Now, the ale I have only drank one bottle and my first impression is that it is just okay to me as well (I’ll see as I finish the six pack).

What is going to happen when I pair up two products that I am billing as just okay? While I think they are both just ok – I also seem to like both of these as well. I am hoping that the flavor profile of the ale will help the dryness of the cigar.

This is a decent pairing overall. The sweet toffee and caramel notes, of the ale, help to combat the dryness of this cigar. The roasted coffee bean and low percentage dark chocolate notes from the ale help to bring out the undertone of coffee bean and a dry cocoa notes of the cigar.

The cigar also helps the ale. The creamy style of the ale seems to improve and the cigar also helps to keep that syrupy style at bay.

Maybe, these two were meant for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment