Like It

Monday, February 22, 2010

Padilla 68 Oscuro Salomon and Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout: Tasting


The Cigar
Wrapper: Oscuro Maduro
Binder: ?
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 7.2 x 57
Rating: 6.5 on my strength scale. A pleasant medium-full bodied cigar. Holds a short salt & pepper colored ash. I really enjoy the dark chocolate profile that is present throughout the smoking experience. On the first inch or so, it seems to start off slow. Light spice, good coffee and cocoa taste. The cigar builds a little stronger spice and earthy character by the half-way point but, nothing overwhelming to raise the strength rating. Ash seems gnarly, the kind that always drops down the front of your shirt if you are not paying any attention.

The amount of smoke is not large as I puff away at this big baby. A few burning correction are needed due to this thick oscuro leaves. I have a possible correction right now that looks like it is going to start to correct itself – let’s see. Just a little lighter correction was needed.

The only construction issue I have is that the 30 sticks I bought all have a flat side to them and some have two sides that have a flat feel to them. None were perfectly round. Who cares if they taste good, right?

I got this cigar before from Cigars International and I really liked it. So, when they had the 10 for $30 – I had to buy a few. This is a great value cigar. Very good taste minus the price makes it a super value.

The Stout
I matched these two together due to the word profile and not so much thought about their strength ratings, even though the ratings do work together – they are within one point of each other. I give this stout a 7 strength rating.
The color is black and as I hold it up to the light I do not see any other hues around the edges. The head is a nice tan that dissipates fairly quickly but, the lacing lingers on the glass. Just as the lacing lingers on the glass so does the stouts wonderful flavors linger on the palate for a very pleasant mouthfeel. The smooth and creamy notes of semi-sweet chocolate, earth and a medium bodied roasted coffee flavor sure is a joy on this winter day. Looks like 6 or 7 inches of snow out there today. It is that lingering mouthfeel that keeps it at a 7 for me. There is a slight hoppy bitter note that is maintained on the finish. As the stout warms I get a cola like characteristic that coats the teeth.

The Pairing
These two are made for each other. I was really hoping for a great pairing to go with my snow day off from work! This is a must try for those of you who like roasty notes, coffee, dark chocolate (70% type). Just cook up some eggs, bacon and hash browns and you can skip the coffee just pour yourself a Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and then light up this wonderful cigar. Any sweetness from the two seems to be offset by the good earthy qualities that they both have. This makes for a great medium-full mouthfeel experience.

On the final third of the cigar it does build to a 7 strength rating. The roasty notes are a little fuller and there seems to be a burnt woodsy flavor along with the earthy quality. The amount of smoke finally builds as well. But, the Oatmeal Stout manages those flavors nicely. I think it brings out a little of the roasted malts notes in the stout.
This was a wonderful 2 hour experience that truly maximized my pleasures. But, now that my pleasures were maximized – I have to get on to reality and snowblow those few inches of snow that fell today.

No comments:

Post a Comment