Like It

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Nica Libre 1990 Imperial Cigar: Review


Wrapper: San Andres Maduro
Binder: Habano
Filler: Nicaraguan
Size: 6 x 54 box press
My Strength Rating: 5

I am smoking this cigar as my morning stick with a cup (pot) of Biggby French Roast Coffee.  This morning I am smoking, on the grill, some Sockeye and Atlantic salmon with some apple wood in preparation of the Super Bowl today.    

Out of the Nica Libre line-up so far I have dis-liked the Principe (4.5x46) and the Torpedo (6x52) and I enjoyed the Diplomatico (7x50). 

Off the light: A good mild roasted coffee greets the palate.  Soon a nice soil earthiness swirls around the tongue and leaves a black peppery spice aftertaste.  Interesting here, I never noticed a peppery spice in the other sizes.  I also get a milk chocolate note here on the first third. 


Mid-point: The peppery note has disappeared.  I like the mild coffee and earthy profile of this cigar.  I like this toasted rye bread quality that has settled in at this point.  There is a nice spice quality I just can’t call it black pepper. 

This has been my favorite size out of this line up.  I would buy this stick again. 

Down the Stretch: The soil earthy note and the toasted rye bread seem to dominate the flavor profile.  The mild coffee has picked up to a medium roast. 

The cigar holds a solid salt and pepper colored ash.  The burn has been good all the way with only one minor correction. 

By the way, the salmon is very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment