Like It

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Cigar and Wine Tasting: CAO Box-Press and Merk Vigne Vecchie 2005

The Cigar
Wrapper: Brazil
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Size: 5.5 x 50
The first few puffs displayed some of those floral notes, earth, and a little nut undertone. After the first half inch the floral disappears and an herbal spice starts to build with the earthy quality still present. As I approach the half way point the peppery spice appears.

The Wine
The 2005 Merk Refosco Vigane Vecchie Friuli is described as, “Blackcurrant, raspberry and hint of tobacco leaf.” Ok, I can be sold on the blackcurrant. I personally get dark berries with a blackberry bite. Then I find a touch of smooth spice and earth. The wine does have a nice silky smoothness to the mouthfeel. I really like the elegant style of this wine. I have not had this wine before but, from what I have sampled so far I can see I will be buying more of this wine. If you live in the Livonia Michigan area you can pick this bottle up from the Fine Wine Source on Middlebelt and Six Mile Road.

The Pairing
The Cigar helped to give this wine a fuller mouthfeel. The wine started to cling to the teeth for a meaty and chew profile that is not present while drinking the wine alone. The spicy notes were at play here from both the wine and cigar. Overall a nice pairing if you want a fuller bodied experience. The smoothness of the wine is not as noticeable during this pairing. I think a cigar that is lower in my strength ratings would help to maximize that silky smooth quality of the wine.

As the black pepper notes started to build in the cigar the wine seemed to sooth the palate. The dark berry and earthy nature of the wine seemed to calm the earthy and pepper style of the Box Pressed cigar. I would recommend this pairing as a hearty after dinner treat but, have some black grapes ready to eat so you can refresh the palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment