Like It

Friday, February 26, 2010

Hoyo de Monterrey and Troubadour Mild Stout: Tasting

Mild Stout Series
I have to admit, I truly like this Mild Stout. Since I like it so much I have to pair it with a cigar that I usually keep in the humidor. I mistreated my Sultan friend in an earlier article labeled ‘Bad Beer.’ So, when you hurt the feelings of a friend you have to make it up to them.

I am pairing these two together because of the word profile and the point system. I tried going to the fuller side in an earlier article and the cigar did overpower this mild stout. I rate this Mild Stout a 5 on my strength rating and the Hoyo Sultan I rate this cigar a 6. So, this is within the two point range that I explained in the very first posting.

For the word profile of the stout – I am focusing on the creamy roasty flavors and that mild-medium coffee that I like so much. And, what does the Hoyo Sultan bring to the table – coffee and roasty notes. This should be like sitting in a coffee cafĂ© today. In this pairing, I also like the idea that the stout has a slight complexity to the taste and the cigar does not have a complexity to the taste. This should minimize any battling of the undertone flavors from these two. The anxiety within me is building to bring these two friends together because, they are so similar, and they may not get along. Let’s see!

The Introduction
I start off lighting up the cigar. The cigar is feeling right to my palate with its usual flavors of coffee and roasty tobacco notes. To me this is a very good cigar for an everyday cigar.

As I am enjoying the Hoyo Sultan I start to struggle to open the 750 ml bottle of Troubadour. This has the plastic cork in it and compared to the real cork they are harder to get out. I always have to get a wrench out to de-cork these plastic corks. Maybe, these companies need to make a wrench for de-corking these bottles!

Once open, I pour the stout into an 18 oz balloon wine glass. A perfect two finger foam pour and I am ready for pure pleasure – I hope. The first few sips of the stout and I confirm that the Mild Stout is tasting yummy as well.

The first few exchanges between these two goes very well. The mild-medium coffee of the stout likes the medium-slightly-full coffee taste of the cigar. The stout maintains its creamy texture with the pairing and that is important to me. The roasty malty notes of the stout seem to get along with the roasty profile of the cigar. I think this works because the stout has a slight sweet roasty malt character and the cigar, even though it is a maduro, does not come across as sweet.

As I get to the halfway point of the cigar everything is going extremely well. The flavors blend well together. The Mild Stout even refreshes the palate while I enjoy one of my favorite cigars. This to me is maximizing my pleasure. The medium style of complexity that the stout has is maintained during the smoking of this cigar. The pleasant bitterness is still there. The undertones of dark chocolate and spice from the stout play well with the roasty tobacco flavors of the cigar. I wish I had a piece of dark chocolate with me to enjoy during this pairing.

The Hoyo Sultan Double Maduro always burns perfectly for me. I never have to correct the burn and it stays lit so you don’t have to relight the cigar. The ash is nice. Nice meaning that it holds a short ash, you will be lucky to get an inch or more. I usually have little half or three quarter inch ash in the ash tray.

You may be thinking, why did I pour the Troubadour in a balloon wine glass? It is nice to swirl this stout in the glass to bring out some of those nice aromas while you are enjoying such a fine beverage as the Troubadour. This glass is designed to bring those aromas right up to your nose. And, it does kick up those nice roasty notes to the nose after a quick swirl.

I am on the last glass of the Troubadour and the final third of the cigar.

The robust flavor of the cigar builds as it approaches the end. The slightly sweet spicy malt flavors are balanced with the pleasant hoppy bitterness - making this an enjoyable experience. The fine carbonation of the stout continues to refresh the palate. The mouthfeel from this pairing is excellent on my palate, making it an exceptional session.
I would recommend this as an after dinner pairing. Skip the coffee and the desert and pour yourself a glass of Troubadour Mild Stout and light up a Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan Double Maduro and enjoy.

See posting with 'Double Abbey'

No comments:

Post a Comment