Like It

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend Super Toro Gorilla and Bornem Triple Abbey Ale

Melt the Cold Doldrums of February
with
Bornem Triple Abbey Ale

Ah yah, the holiday madness is behind us, the New Year is becoming a reality and everybody is ready to move forward. Not so fast buster! I want to look back over the holidays for a moment. Let’s see – Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve – for me one thing was in common, a little Holiday Cheer. Now, that we are roaring through February, I need a little cheer. So, why not break out a bottle of Bornem Triple Abbey Ale and a fine cigar.

This Abbey Ale, to me, is upfront with a ‘champagne-like’ effervescence. These vibrant little bubbles take me back to those Holiday Cheers and yes I did my share of the sparkling wine. As I open the 750 ml bottle my taste buds dance with anticipation. I fill the chalice and take a drink … and … my taste buds are now calling for a Granny Smith Apple. I run to the kitchen and slice up an ol’granny, grab a few black grapes and sliced up a little Smoked Jack cheese. The cold doldrums of February are ready to melt away.

Oh boy that is it for me! I have just taken a bite of the Granny Smith Apple and then a sip of the Bornem and wow - to me this matches up. The black grapes are a perfect match as well. The Smoky Jack cheese elevates the taste buds with its smokiness and the Bornem with its vibrant bubbles cleanses the taste buds. I say, set the fruit table up with some nice smoked cheese and serve the Bornem Triple in champagne glasses and you’ll have the perfect appetizer set-up for your guests.

For me the next pairing is the best – a fine cigar. Referring to my number scale that I presented to you last month I am placing a 5.5 on this ale. Remember, the 0 to 10 scale is how you would personally rate the taste of the beer in strength. Zero: Light in body and taste or Ten: full in body and taste. I want my cigar to match up to this 5.5. As explained last month, try to stay within 2 points in either direction. So, I can go milder to a 3.5 or fuller to a 7.5.

Planning is everything here for the perfect match – so ‘THINK.’ It’s not illegal yet, to think. We have fine malt and hop balance here with some nice effervescence. Don’t take away from the effervescence. Going stronger may take away from this, matching the same strength should play well and going milder may even enhance the experience.

The Indian Tabac Cameroon Legend Super Toro Gorilla rates about a 4.5 for me on my cigar strength scale. The Cameroon wrapper is going to give you a wonderful nutty taste while the Dominican Corojo and Brazilian Mata Fina fillers are going to give you a fancy raisin like character and a cedary taste on this cigar. The size of this cigar is 6 x 58, giving you a wonderful smoking experience.


After toasting up this fine cigar my expectations are met. The cigar does not over power the Bornem Triple. I get all the fine characteristics from my Belgian Ale and I get a great taste experience from my cigar.

I did change my chalice glassware over to a champagne flute. Why be normal? This proved positive. The champagne glass directed the aromas right to the nose. The aromas are then enhanced and the taste experience is rewarded.

Maximize your pleasures by using the point system and word game to match your Belgium Beer and fine cigar. The key word here was effervescence. Don’t kill the bubbles by going stronger. I tried it and it didn’t work. The stronger 6 point cigar brought out the tartness in the ale and lost all the underlying notes to be enjoyed as well as the bubbles. The great flavors from the cigar were lost as well.

Now go and dice up a Granny Smith Apple add some raisins a few green, red and black grapes along with some pecans and slice up some Smoky Jack cheese then, open yourself a 750 ml bottle of Bornem Triple Abby Ale. Then, match up your cigar.

Enjoy the experience,
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment