Like It

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Signature Collection Vintage 2004 Sun Grown and Paulaner Salvator Double Bock: Pairing

I continue the Cigar Derby Series with the Signature Collection Cigar and Paulaner Salvator.  I gave this pairing 4-1 odds to win this Cigar and Beverage Matching. 

Click here to read the Cigar Derby Series set-up

The Cigar

Signature Collection Vintage 2004 Sun Grown
Wrapper: 8 year old Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Fillers: Nicaraguan  
Robusto 5.7 x 50
Yes, it looks like a Toro



Flavor Profile of the Cigar: this cigar has a very nice woody style; firm cedar spice, oak and alder wood come to mind; a nice dose of musty white pepper mixes in with some dry fall leafs and a mild nutty note that can remind you of almonds; I’ll say it’s medium at best – 4.75 on my strength scale.

The Beer

Paulaner Salvator Double Bock
Paulaner Brauerei
Munich, Germany

7.9% abv
11.2oz bottle
$10.99 a six pack

Appearance: shiny bronze body with a one finger bone white head that leaves no lacing


Aroma: baked caramel nut muffin;

Flavors: sweet caramel nut raisin muffin; light spice maybe from the alcohol or hops; light brown sugar;

Mouthfeel: sweet up front and mid; light spice on the back; medium body on the front and medium-medium-full body on the finish; I’ll place it at 6 on my strength scale; light alcohol warmth;

To the Point: a nice to very nice Double Bock; pleasing and easy to drink; damn, I want a muffin now, this beer can get a bit too sweet to me but, it is not cloying type sweet; one bottle maybe two of these and I am fine.


The Pairing

I am halfway through smoking this cigar and I have not written a thing during this pairing.  I puff on the cigar and sip the beer; I sip the beer and puff on the cigar; I keep on keeping on to see what I think.  Does one really affect the other?  Not much; at first thought.  And, that is not always a bad thing and that is what I am thinking about.  Sometimes that is a boring thing and sometimes you get to experience the quality flavors of each for what they are and that is a good thing.  I believe it is a really good thing here. This horse is slow out of the gate and trails the field of this four cigar race. 


The woody notes of the cigar mingle so gently with the sweet caramel nut raisin muffin style of this beer.  The light almond note of the cigar fits in just perfectly here.  The musty white pepper is also a nice fit with the beers light spice on the back of the palate.  The cigar does cut some of the sweetness of the Bock Beer down a notch. This horse is making up ground on the La Gloria Serie R Maduro and the rest of the field.

I think this is terrific.  It is smooth on the mouthfeel; it is pleasing in flavor; it is overall a great pairing and these two were meant for each other.  I believe the beer transfers some of that muffin profile over to the taste of the cigar and circulates with those woody tones for one super pleasing experience. This horse is now neck and neck with the lead at the halfway point of the race.

If you want to maximize your experience – this pairing is it.  Right now I have to say this is a winner.  Wait!  I have two more cigars to pair with this beer.  Right now it is a close race between the La Gloria Serie R No. 5 Maduro and this Signature Cigar but, the Signature I think beats the La Gloria by a head.   


No comments:

Post a Comment