Like It

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Camacho Maduro (old label) paired with Paulaner Salvator Double Bock

Cigar Derby Series - Click here to read about the set-up

The Cigar


Camacho Maduro (old label).  I gave this cigar 3-1 odds to win this Series.  

Cigar Profile: solid earthy style with rich soil and toasted sweet grains; black tea; medium body; smooth feel; this is a fairly simple and easy smoking cigar




The Beer

Paulaner Salvator Double Bock

Paulaner Brauerei
Munich, Germany
Paulaner.com

7.9% abv
11.2oz bottle
$10.99 a six pack

Appearance: shiny bronze body with a one finger bone white head that leaves no lacing

Aroma: baked caramel nut muffin;

Flavors: sweet caramel nut raisin muffin; light spice maybe from the alcohol or hops; light brown sugar;

Mouthfeel: sweet up front and mid; light spice on the back; medium body on the front and medium-medium-full body on the finish; I’ll place it at 6 on my strength scale; light alcohol warmth;

To the Point: a nice to very nice Double Bock; pleasing and easy to drink; damn, I want a muffin now, this beer can get a bit too sweet to me but, it is not cloying type sweet; one bottle maybe two of these and I am fine.


The Pairing

The first thing I notice is that the earthy rich soil style of the cigar tempers the overall sweetness of the Double
Bock.  The rich soil and black tea of the cigar mingles nicely with the caramel, light brown sugar, and raisin nut muffin notes of the Bock beer.  This horse settles into fourth place right out of the gate and all the horses (cigars) are neck and neck. 


When I sip the Paulaner Salvator first, the sweetness of the Bock stands out and plays with the toasted sweet grains and black tea of the cigar.  The more I experience this pairing the more I like it.  Coming down the final stretch of the track this horse is right in the middle of things.  This race is a lot closer than I expected.  On a photo finish this horse just noses out the La Gloria Serie R No. 5 Maduro for third place.  All of these cigars were right there at the wire and I have to say there was only a head of a horse difference between the first place horse (San Miguel Torpedo) and the fourth place horse (La Gloria Serie R No. 5 Maduro).  

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete