Like It

Saturday, March 1, 2014

March Matching 2014 - The Set Up

I thought I was ready to quit my cigar reviews but I really want to do my March Matching.  I did a cigar review the other week to see if I was ready and I think I am ready for the game. 

In the past years I would review a variety of cigars with one ale to see which cigar paired well with the ale.  This year I am going with one cigar and I am going to pair it with a variety of ales and throw in a red wine. 

Here are the past March Matchings
Yes, I did not do a 2012

Here is the 2014 lineup 


The Cigar

Casa Magna Dominican Gran Toro
Wrapper: Corojo
Fillers: Cuban-seed Dominican
Size: 6 x 60


The Ales

Thirsty Dog Wulver Wee Heavy Ale Aged in Bourbon Barrels


Stone’s Double Bastard






I am going to throw in a Red Wine

Cigar Box Malbec Reserve 2012


I’ll make the links when they are posted

Here is my expectation for each beverage with the cigar along with the odds of being the best pairing.

The cigar should pair exceptionally well with the Wee HeavyBarrel Aged Ale. (2-1 odds)
I expect the cigar will collide with the IPA bitterness of the Double Bastard.  (20-1 odds)
The Boucanier Golden Ale should be a nice pairing but, the cigar might be a bit too strong and mask some of the ales delicate flavors. (5-1 odds)
I envision the cigar overpowering the medium-light body of the Kostritzer Schwarzbier - this should be boring.  (9-1 odds)
I imagine the flavors of the Malbec wine should be a perfect fit for this cigar. (3-1 odds)

No comments:

Post a Comment