Like It

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Casa Magna Dominican Gran Toro and Double Bastard: Pairing

The Ale

Double Bastard
The Stone Brewing Co.
Escondido, San Diego County, California


11.2% abv
1pt 6oz bottle
$7.99
2013 Release
Style: American Strong Ale


On the bottle: “Double Bastard Ale is not to be wasted on the tentative or weak.” 
Yes, that means you regular Bud and Miller and whatever light type beer drinkers.

Appearance: deep amber body with a one finger tan head that stays around for a while; plenty of sticky lacing on the glass

Aroma: hoppy; sweet grapefruit with a toasted caramel malt just behind the pine bark


Flavors: oh damn, that’s tasty.  White, pink and ruby red grapefruit salad; pine needles hit the tongue; toasted caramel malts and grains; then a wave floral hops; then some vanilla/toffee oak that reminds me of a fine Single Malt Scotch; boozy

Mouthfeel: sweet and bitter grapefruit notes; bitter pine; floral; bitter yet aromatic; boozy; super fine fizzy feel to the carbonation; full bodied;

To the Point: deeper notes compared to Arrogant Bastard with stronger pine and alcohol; I’ll have to review Arrogant Bastard again this week to get a better comparison; this Dbl Bastard is top shelf stuff here;


The Cigar

Casa Magna Dominican Gran Toro
Wrapper: Corojo
Fillers: Cuban-seed Dominican
Size: 6 x 60


It has been a while since I have had this cigar and I saw it on Cigars International website under the ‘Make Me an Offer.’  I purchased a box of ten and liked them so much I ordered two more boxes.  I checked my blog and I have never reviewed this cigar.  Well it is time that I do. 

Profile: medium-full body; dark roasted coffee; dark chocolate like bitterness; toasted caramel; fire pit smoky note; green peppercorn; earthy and peppery aftertaste



The Pairing

I am not expecting great things here that is why I made the odds at winning this March Matching 20-1 odds.

Wow, does this ale have an effect on this cigar or what; the bitter style of the ale brings out the bitter notes of the cigar;(a little too bitter for my liking) the peppery notes of the cigar are brought to the front during this pairing probably because of the grapefruit notes in the ale; the ale seems to take away the nice flavors of the cigar; the cigar comes across as full bodied during this pairing; if you are man enough to try this ale pair it with this cigar for a big time experience.  Personally, I would not recommend this pairing for maximum pleasure.  It’s bitter and in your face.


No comments:

Post a Comment