Like It

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Casa Magna Dominican Gran Toro and Biere du Boucanier Golden Ale: Pairing

The Ale

Biere du Boucanier Golden Ale
Van Steenberge
Belgium


March Matching
Read the March Matching Set-up

11% abv
11.2 oz stubby bottle
$21.99 a six pack (sampler pack)
Refermented in the bottle
Style: Triple Ale or Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Appearance: cloudy golden orange body with a one and a half finger white head that settles to a thin layer in about a minute or so; some lacing on the glass; get that yeast off the bottom of the bottle by swirling the bottle with the last inch of beer and then pouring it into the chalice; solid sheets of lacing hang on my second glass of this ale during the first half of the glass then, spotty lacing

Aroma: to me this has that classic Belgium Beer aroma: Belgian yeast, sweet tropical fruits like tangerine and a hint of banana (a creamy red banana) with a touch of stone fruit; nice spice; aromatic hop;


Flavors: sweet malts and nice aromatic hops show some good balance (still on the sweet side); stone fruits and gentle citrus zest swirl around some sweet grains and honey; plenty of earthy yeast, lightly tart cranberry biscuit, spice on the back that reminds me of pink peppercorn, a soft pink peppercorn; 

Mouthfeel: creamy feel; fine fizzy feel from the carbonation; sweet candied fruit up front with spice on the mid and it all comes together for a pleasing aftertaste; a mild-moderate citrus zest on the mid and finish; a pleasing bitterness underneath; medium-full body; the alcohol did not play a big role to me except for adding the light pink peppercorn spice note

To the Point: very pleasing aroma that makes the drinking experience a pleasure; the sweetness is under control and not in your face; the mild hops give it some balance and character; I do not pick up a boozy feel or a big alcohol note coming from the 11%er; I think the alcohol is giving the ale that pink peppercorn note; I am giving this ale a solid 89% for a B+ … no how about 90% for an A- … boy is grading a beer tough work; must buy – go out of your way to find this ale



The Cigar

Casa Magna Dominican Gran Toro
Wrapper: Corojo
Fillers: Cuban-seed Dominican
Size: 6 x 60


Profile: medium-full body; dark roasted coffee; dark chocolate like bitterness; toasted caramel; fire pit smoky note; green peppercorn; earthy and peppery aftertaste



The Pairing

I gave this pairing 5-1 odds in the 2014 March Matching because I thought there just might be an issue with the robust flavors of the cigar masking some of the nice delicate flavors of this very tasty ale.  Let’s see what happens.  If I was a betting man - I would bet this pairing to show - to come in third - 'show' is horse betting language for third place.

After a few sips of the ale I am ready to light this cigar up and get on with this review.  The ale is tasting true to my notes and after a few puffs of the cigar the cigar is smoking true to my notes. 


I take a couple puffs on the cigar and then sip the ale; nice soft candied fruits on the deliver (upfront); late on the palate and on the aftertaste (on the ale) I am noticing a bit of a spike in the bitterness and a little stronger taste on the pink peppercorn; I am not picking up that lightly tart cranberry biscuit note – just drop the words ‘lightly and biscuit’ – I am getting a tart cranberry note which would coincide with the spike in the bitterness.  So, the bitterness of the cigar and the peppery notes of the cigar have an effect on the ale. 

Let’s take the other approach sip the ale first and then puff the cigar and see what I experience.  After a few sips of the ale to get my taste buds back in balance I finally puff the cigar.  I am not noticing an impact on the cigar during this exchange.  The cigar flavors are coming through – I get the dark roasted coffee, toasted caramel, the smoky and peppery notes; the mouthfeel remains the same.  Interesting, I was expecting the citrus zip of the ale, even though it is a delicate citrus, to bring out the bitterness in the cigar.  So, the sweetness of the ale isn’t even strong enough to impact the cigar.  This can be a good thing – and I have to say I like when you can experience the flavors of each product during the exchange. 

There are time when this has happened but, sometimes I like one exchange over the other.  Here I like both of these.  I like that the cigar brought out some of the hops in the ale.  This is a sweet ale after all.  I also liked it when I sipped the ale and the cigar notes were not disturbed – both products minded their own business so to say.  


No comments:

Post a Comment