Like It

Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Worst of the Worst Series II: Felipe Gregorio Icon Groucho

Felipe Gregorio Icon Groucho and Heavy Seas Black Cannon: Pairing

The Cigar

Felipe Gregorio Icon Groucho
Size: 5 x 55; Robusto
Wrapper: triple fermented Costa Rican
Fillers: Condega, Nicaragua and Dominican-grown Piloto Cubano 2002

The Worst of the Worst Series is about the bad cigars that I have left in my humidor.

I have two or three of these cigars still floating around in my humidor.  I have to have purchased these four or five years ago.  I really wanted to like this cigar because of the theme – Icon.  Groucho is one of my favorites.  I bought a five pack and smoked two and thought it was a bad cigar from the get go so, I stuck it in the humidor with a few other losers.  I never reviewed this stick because I was never brave enough to try it again.  I am off work today, the sun is shining, I feel good and not even a crappy cigar could ruin this day … so, let’s get reviewing. 

Off the Light and First Half: a dry metallic twang greets the palate off the light.  This would go well with a Czech beer.  Dry soil and … and … nothing else; wait the dry metallic taste is not as strong.  From what I am recalling on this cigar is that it was dry and boring to the core. 


The cigar holds a rouged salt and pepper ash that is about an inch or so right now.  As the burn approaches the halfway point the metallic taste is not noticeable, the dry soil is still present with a cheap coffee note, the kind of coffee that comes in a can – something like Maxwell House.  Dry grainy dive-diner kind of coffee. 

Second Half: the dryness reminds me of rough leather.  Dry soil and cheap grainy coffee is the main profile.  Cigar International had a good description of this cigar; “complex core of rich, mocha-like flavors with notes of coffee and leather, finished by a touch of pepper. Dee-lish.” 


The Ale

Heavy Seas Black Cannon
Black IPA
Clipper City Brewing Company
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
7.25% abv
45 IBU
Available January thru March

I like this Black IPA and I think this ale might help this poor cigar and if it doesn't I'll through the cigar out and drink this tasty black beauty. 

Appearance: black body with a one finger tan head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma: not big, but I am picking up a hint of pine, a touch of floral, a touch roasted grains, a little coffee note

Flavors: toasted flavors, roasted grains, pine in the mix, a little semi-sweet chocolate,

Mouthfeel: a little wool like on the texture, roasted notes linger,

To the Point: a nice Black IPA; worthy to try


The Pairing

First Half of the Cigar with the Ale
A few sips of the ale and then a puff of the cigar is the way to go with this pairing.  The toasty/roasty flavors of the ale really help this cigar out; it seems to bring out a toasty fall leaf note in the cigar. 

When I take a few puffs of the cigar and then a sip of the ale I get a different effect.  The dry worn out leather mouthfeel of the cigar with that slight metallic twang brings out the bitterness in the ale. 

Second Half of the Cigar with the Ale
When I take a few puffs of the cigar and then sip the ale I notice the pine needle like taste and texture to the ale, the roasted notes of the ale are also pleasing.  The metallic twang of the cigar is no longer a factor and not interfering with the experience like it did during the first half.  The mouthfeel is of course very dry during this pairing.  Water is needed.

I still enjoy the matching when I drink the ale first and then the cigar.  The tasty flavor of the ale mingles well with the cigar and makes the cigar seem a little better than what it really is. 

The ale is gone and it is not worthy to smoke the last inch and a half.  

No comments:

Post a Comment