Like It

Saturday, March 9, 2013

March Matching 2013 Game 1


Final Four – Game One

We have the Padilla Limitado 2006 going against the Kinkycristo by Kinky Friedman.  This is the Belicoso match up. 


Cigar #1Stats
Padilla Limitado Edicion Especial 2006
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Honduran
Fillers: Nicaraguan and Honduran
Size: 6 x 54


Cigar #2 Stats
Kinky Friedman Kinkycristo
Wrapper: Honduras Habano
Binder: Costa Rican
Fillers: Honduran and Nicaraguan
Size: 6.2 x 54

Interestingly enough I have never reviewed the Padilla Limitado.  These cigars have been rolling around my humidor for years.  I think I even bought these before I started blogging three years ago.  I just can’t believe I have never written a review.  The next thing about this cigar I don’t think you can find it on the market anymore.  The 2006 Limitado is truly limited. 

These two cigars should be a tough battle because they should be so similar in their taste profile.  I am expecting an earthy profile with notes of coffee, wood, hints of chocolate, and a slight peppery spice.  

Odds: Padilla 1:1; Kinkycristo 2:1 with this Ale.

Beer Stats
sorry, the best pic I could get
Sir Edward’s Double Brown by Witch’s Hat
South Lyon, Michigan, USA
Witchshatbrewing.com
The Double Brown Ale has a rich malty nose with touch of coffee and lightly roasted grains.  The taste profile follows the nose with toasted grains, rich coffee with a light shot of cream, dry sea grass swirls around the mid palate, and 85% dark chocolate like bitterness on the finish and more so on the aftertaste.  The mouthfeel has a syrupy feel with roasted notes lingering on the palate and a dry finish.

The Padilla won the coin flip and will meet the lighter and Ale first.

Off the Light: rich dark soil, coffee and a touch of baker's chocolate.  I introduce the Ale after a few puffs and this is one nice exchange.  The dark soil of the cigar plays well with the toasted grains and grassy hops of the ale.  The coffee styles of these two mingle well.  The coffee note of the cigar seems to be a little fuller than the ales medium roast coffee style with a touch of cream.  The ‘nice exchange’ has a smooth creamy feel between these two.


The Kinkycristo is up:
Off the Light: forest floor notes swirl around the palate with notes of crisp fall leafs, composting soil, and light wood.  After a few puff I have a sip of the Sir Edward Ale and the forest floor notes of the cigar make a good interchange with the ales coffee, toasted grains and sea grass like flavors.  The ‘good interchange’ feel seems to be semi-smooth … maybe a little 0000 steel wool like.  The cigar seems to have a slight bitter note during the exchange. 

After the first quarter – I am liking the Padilla match up over the Kinkycristo.  It’s that smooth texture and the interplay of the coffee notes.

2nd quarter:
The Kinkycristo shows signs of soil, light wood and a sweet spicy note starts to swirl around on the palate.  The sweet spice reminds me of pink peppercorn which has a sweet peppery note.  I think it is this sweet spicy note that is giving this exchange that semi-smooth texture.  I think I am not picking up that nice coffee note from the ale during this pairing. 

The Padilla still has that smooth rich soil, medium roast coffee, and the baker's chocolate still in the mix.  It might be the age of this cigar (around four years in my humidor).  This cigar brings out that coffee with a shot of cream in the ale.  The syrupy texture of the ale is play extremely well with the smooth style of the cigar.  The roasted notes of the ale are mixing well with the cigars toasted notes.  I thought this stick had a peppery style but, I did not experience it during this pairing. 

I have to make a call right now … the Padilla Limitado is the winner.  This is a slam dunk.  I thought they would be much closer in this battle.  It was not so much the flavors but the mouthfeel that won this encounter.  The flavors were a little better with the Padilla versus the Kinkycristo.  It was the mouthfeel that maximized the experience. 

So, it is the Padilla Limitado Edicion Especial 2006 that will be going against the winner of the next round – the Pinar del Rio Habano versus The Edge by Rocky Patel. 

Click here to read:

No comments:

Post a Comment