Like It

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Not the fault of the beer or the cigar - Just an okay pairing

Olde Number 22 Alt Bier
&
Camacho Corojo Limited 60/6

The Cigar
Wrapper, Binder, Filler: Honduran Corojo
Size: 6 x 60
Strength rating: 7.5
I have only had a few of these Corojos and I have enjoyed them. It has a good earthy core at the body of the smoke along with a robust woodsy taste. The bold spiciness with plenty of white pepper dances on the tongue during the first inch or so of the cigar. I start to think it is a 6.5 on my strength scale. After the first inch the cigar starts to build in strength. As I approach the midpoint of the cigar the ample smoke and the bold spice fills the palate. The strength also builds – 7.5 or 8? Now it seems more like a Camacho Cigar. The white pepper starts to fade and a course black pepper note takes over.

The Bier
I had to make an aggressive pour to get a one finger head that disappeared before my eyes could blink. No lacing on the glass from the little head nor while I was drinking the ale. The body is a nice black color.

The smell was uneventful, a faint smoky malt note along with a little sweetness. The taste had a nice little bitter-sweet flavor. Some mild coffee and roasty malt notes. The watery mouthfeel seemed to wash away any undertones that the beer could have. The carbonation was light only to minimize any refreshing of the palate. Maybe, a 6 on my strength scale.

The Pairing
Not a bad pairing. The cigar might be too strong for the profile of this beer. The peppery notes had nothing much to play off of and the mild coffee and roasty malts took a backseat during this pairing. The watery style of the ale did add some refreshing qualities while smoking the cigar but some more carbonation would have been nice. I think the next time I have this ale I will be looking for a cigar that is not as bold as the Camacho Corojo.

The point system is within range on this pairing but, the flavor profile did not match up well. Like I said, not a bad pairing, which also means not a good one, so keep looking. The idea is to maximize your pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment