Like It

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Petrus Tripel March Matching - 4 of 4

We have the Professor of Cigars and the Dean of Beers in the house to give us his final round analysis of the Petrus Tripel Ale and the Gurkha Empire Series Cigars

“The odds on each of the pairings go:
Empire I and Petrus: 7-1
Empire III and Petrus: 1-1
Empire IV and Petrus: 2-1

The #1 cigar seems to be lacking in his game here. Hopefully a good pep talk from the coach will give this cigar some game today.

The #4 sounds big, has all the great ingredients for a big game but –

The #3 and Petrus is what you want when you want to score. Look at the Petrus: floral-rosy edges and a wonderful hoppy style and the cigar is bringing WHAT – Chocolaty goodness with a sweet finish – game over baby! Chocolate and rosy-edges – that is for me – I am scoring big time here – put all your money on this horse today and your sweetie will love you.”

Some friends stopped by to see the results.


The Game 1:00 Tip Off
The cigars have been cut and checked for a good draw. They are ready for competition.

The Empire I right off the tip off has a firm draw. The draw continues to be a little firm on the first inch of the cigar.

The cigar is nice with the ale. The earthy
qualities are there but, overall taste is lacking.

The Empire III starts off with some spicy peppery notes. That maduro wrapper is showing off its flavors. In the first inch or so I do not see the mild in its description, it comes across medium.

Not an overly complex cigar but, some real nice tobacco flavors. I think the Costa Rican Maduro wrapper gives it a nice chocolaty, coffee style. It works great with the ale, bringing out some of the hoppy flavors while maintaining the nice sweetness of the ale.

The Empire #1 is lacking in overall taste and the 3 will take the #1 out of competition here in the first quarter of this match up.

The Empire #IV has a nice draw and the ligero fillers are tasty for a rich medium smoke. I give this cigar a 6 rating, while drinking this ale, just to the medium-full side. The Brazilian wrapper gives the cigar a nice hearty flavor.

The Empire III battles with the Dominican and Honduran long-filler maintaining a nice medium smoke. I give this cigar a 5 strength rating. The nice toasty notes and sweet tobacco flavors take command as I approach the halfway point in the cigar. From this point on I can lower that strength rating to a 4.5 maybe 4. But, the Petrus Ale and cigar have a nice mouthfeel that is smooth while being consumed together.

The Empire IV keeps up the fight. This is a real good match up. The beautiful golden color of the ale just says drink me. The Petrus seems to clean the palate after puffing this cigar. And, the cigar with its meaty flavor fills the mouth and brings out the effervescence of the Petrus. This pairing would be great while eating a hearty meal. As the cigar progressed while drinking this ale I am lowering my strength rating to a 5.5 overall. The ligeros tobaccos give a good punch on the opening of the cigar but, it mellows a bit through the rest of the cigar.

I smoked these two cigars down to the end. The Empire III wins. I liked how the two worked together. I wanted to smoke this cigar while drinking this ale. Each brought out some good qualities in the other. The Empire IV gave a great fight. This was a great battle and just didn’t like to see one lose the game here today.

The March Matching Champion for 2010 is the Empire III and the Petrus Triple Ale.

Here is how I rank the final order.

Empire
I tied for 4th and 5th
II tied for 4th and 5th
III first place
IV second place – excellent choice while eating
V third place – nice mild-medium body and creamy taste match well with the ale.
VI sixth place
I think I’ll be drinking a little Petrus Triple Ale while I watch some basketball this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment