Like It

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Torano Exodus 1959 and Oktoberfest Beer

Read the previous posting for tasting notes on the 1959 cigar.
This cigar paired up well with these Oktoberfest beers.

Spaten Oktoberfest

12 oz. bottle
5.9 abv
Spaten-brau
Munich, Germany
My Strength Rating: 4

Beck’s Oktoberfest

12 oz. bottle
5% abv
Brauerei Beck & Co.
Bremen, Germany
My Strength Rating: 4

These two look alike when poured into the glass and I am talking about the color. Both are of a bright bronze color and you could not tell the difference when riding by on a galloping horse. When held to the light there is a slight difference. So one is copper and the other is bronze – who cares. The head on the Spaten was poured on the thin side and the color was off-white. The head on the Beck beer was thick and foamy with a tan looking color and it stayed around for the party.

I thought this was going to be easy on this faceoff. I have had these before and I buy both of them every year at this time. But, I have always liked the Spaten over the Beck’s. Doing a quick sip of each to compare them it is hard to tell the difference. Both have that sweet malty grainy style with a touch of caramel and some herbal hoppy spice. Now, let me take my time to break each one down.

Spaten: A nice rich and sweet malty presence. It is light and lively on the mouthfeel. There is a slight herbal spice Oktoberfest style taste. This beer is not to complex or super special but, it is a good classic Oktoberfest beer.

Beck’s: A good caramel malty profile with a light and lively mouthfeel as well. The spice is similar to the Spaten but, I think it is slightly different. Another good classic Oktoberfest style beer.

Okay, I like both of these. That is probably why I buy both every year. I don’t think I can no longer say that I like one better than the other.

Both are very drinkable and do not leave a metallic or astringent taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment