Like It

Monday, October 18, 2010

Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon Toro and Ketel One Vodka

The Cigar

Wrapper: Cameroon
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan
My Strength Rating: 6

This Toro size cigar from the Torano Sampler Pack is a pretty consistent smoke all the way through. Off the light it as a little mellow and then the green pepper spice kicked in and there were nice earthy and nutty notes along the way. The nutty note came across as walnut like.
The Drink

Cranberry and Vodka

I had the end of a bottle of Ketel One Vodka that needed to be finished off. And this is the night to do it. I am trying to empty out my summer place of all the food and beverages that I can so I do not have to haul this stuff home. The good thing here is that I had enough Vodka and cranberry juice to make one 20 oz glass of this tasty summer drink.

Now, I am not even going to attempt to do a Vodka review. During the summer a friend visited one weekend and he left this bottle behind. I do enjoy a cranberry and vodka drink for a change of pace.

The Pairing

The pairing is not bad overall. The drink is quit refreshing. But, I think the drink interferes a bit with the tasting notes of the cigar. There is a spicy note that dances across the tongue from the cigar after drinking this beverage. The nutty flavor seems lost and the earthy style seems muted. If I wait a few moments after drinking and then puff on the cigar I get a little better flavor from the smoke.

So, puff on the stogie then take a drink and then pause a moment before repeating this process!!! Actually, this does work. Like I said, the cigar flavor is better and I think the drink taste better in this order as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment