Like It

Monday, May 17, 2010

The Smooth Side of Brugse Zot and Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur #1

Brugse Zot mixes it up with Excalibur #1

The Cigar
Wrapper: Connecticut Shade
Filler: Dom Rep., Hon., Nic.
Size: 7-1/4 x 54
Strength rating: 4
This cigar has been one of my staples for a long time. I always, I mean always, have a supply of these in my humidor. This is a quality mild-medium smoke. The cigar is velvety smooth and just a plain classic. It has a rich tobacco taste of oak and roasted walnuts. It is not – spicy – earthy – coffee – peppery. It is the perfect cigar for summer time enjoyment. It is the perfect cigar to pair with a meal. It could be the perfect cigar with that quality Belgian – let us see.

The Brugs
A hazy golden color with nice sediment floating around which adds to the hazy look. Don’t be afraid of the sediment. This is the yeast that they add before capping the bottle. This yeast is what makes this beer a living beer. Some living beers have aging potential, like wine. While it does not help this beer with appearance points, it does make for good conversation and an educational moment for those national brand beer drinkers.

This ale has a pleasant sweet-sour taste, lemon rind sour, with some firm spice. The hops help to balance this ale. I enjoy the citrus profile of the hops while the sweetness of the malts let you know you are drinking a fine Belgian Beer.

The Pairing
My first thought is, ‘this is creamy smooth’ as I take my first few sips of the ale. That velvety smooth profile of the cigar is transferring this trait to the ale and I like this. My anxieties were high for this pairing. What if it does not match up? What if my two friends just don’t get along? But, they do and we are now making dinner plans!

Think of all the profile notes of each and throw them out the window now! This is bliss – This is love! It works and who cares why. We are running through a field of hops and grains, hand in hand, and this is sheer madness. Your eyes just sparkle at the sight of each other.

Visit: http://beerpostings2.blogspot.com/ or http://winepostings2.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment