Like It

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Ramon Bueso Genesis the Project Muy Bueso and Big Dick's Olde Ale: Pairing

The Cigar

Ramon Bueso Genesis the Project Muy Bueso
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro (Triple Fermented)
Binder: Jamastran
Fillers: Nicaraguan and Honduran; ligeros, visos, and secos
Size: 6.5 x 60


I have never tried this cigar and I just purchased a 20 pack sampler from CI for $75.00.  10 sticks of the Genesis and 10 of the Odyssey it also included a Bugatti lighter that did not work.  I sure hope they are worth the dough Joe. 

Profile: smooth and clean dark roast coffee, lightly roasted sweet grains, soft pumpernickel bread like, soft and moist earthy tones (moss), light dusty spice on the back and aftertaste, the texture is smooth and almost creamy feel.  The flavors and mouthfeel are pretty consistent from start to finish.  I am going to give it a 5.5 on my strength scale which is medium.  It is billed as medium-full which would begin at 6 on my strength scale.  Because it is so smooth I am keeping it at the medium body range. 

To the Point: right now the cigar is going for 4 bucks a stick when you buy a box from Cigars International.  Even at 5 bucks a stick it is a very good value. 


I wrote the above review last summer (2013) and never posted it.  Today, here in March of 2014, I have my last stick of the Muy Bueso.  The description that I wrote sounds like it should pair well with the Arcadia Ale Big Dick’s Olde Ale that I am enjoying today.  I think the moderate yet firm bitterness of the ale will contrast well with the cigars smooth and clean coffee profile.  I don’t think the light spice on the finish of the cigar will be an issue with this 51 IBU Olde Ale.


The Ale

Arcadia Ales Big Dick's Olde Ale
2009 Vintage
Arcadia Brewing Company
Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
9% abv
51 IBU’s


I reviewed this beer back on June 6, 2010 and February 10,2012.  In 2010 I did not write down the vintage but, it had an 8% abv.  In 2012 I reviewed the 2010 vintage.  Today I found an old bottle that has a 2009 vintage.  Let’s see how this baby aged.

Appearance: a heavy, murky and dark caramel body with a very thin tan head from a very aggressive pour.  No lacing on the glass.

Aroma: light nose overall, he nose is reminding me of toasted caramel, sweet malts under a floral like hoppy note, a little wheat and rye bread in the mix


Flavors: some tasty hops adding a moderate yet firm bitterness, semi-sweet malty tone under the hops, I am going to stay with the floral hoppy note here in the flavor as well, very earthy feel      

Mouthfeel: smooth wool like texture coming from the firm bitterness, earthy, low carbonation,

To the Point: still a tasty Olde Ale here on this 2009 vintage,


The Pairing

I light the cigar and the cigar is smoking true to the profile that I wrote last summer.  I am about an inch into the cigar and I am ready to take a sip of the ale.

After a few puff and a few sips I can tell that I am going to enjoy this pairing today.  I can also tell that there are no disturbances going on with the flavor profiles. 


The Flavors: the cigars flavor profile of coffee, lightly roasted sweet grains, soft pumpernickel bread like, soft and moist earthy tones (moss); blend so well with the floral hop like bitterness and the semi-sweet malty tones.  It does not matter if I puff the cigar first and then sip the ale or sip the ale and then puff the cigar – this is a very pleasing exchange.


The Mouthfeel: this pairing, to me, is all about the mouthfeel and the contrast between the two.  The cigar has a smooth and clean feel and the ale has a scruffy yet smooth wool like feel.  The cigar has a soft mossy earth feel and the ale has a murky earthy feel.  

No comments:

Post a Comment