Like It

Saturday, May 18, 2013

La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Magnifico and Arcturos 2011 Cabernet Franc: Pairing


The Wine

Arcturos 2011 Cabernet Franc

Black Star Farms
Suttons Bay, Michigan, USA
50% Grand Traverse County
50% Leelanau County
Vineyards: Montague Estate, Capella and Isidors Choice Vineyards
$25.00 a bottle

This pairing looks like Déjà vu all over again.  Yes, I just did a review on the Arcturos Cabernet Franc but, that was the 2010.  Yes, I just did a review on the La Aroma De Cuba but, that was the Double Toro and this is the Toro size.  Yes, I paired the 2010 Cab Franc with the Double Toro so why not smoke the Toro with the 2011 Cab Franc.   

Appearance: rich ruby body with lighter ruby edges

Aroma: blackberry, black plum, light spice,

Right after opening:

Flavors: fruit forward; with black currant, pomegranate, and raspberry notes, a hint of mineral soil and light spice on the finish.  The only thing that seems to change after the bottle has been opened for a couple hours is the ‘hint of mineral soil’ is just a tad firmer – just a tad. 

Mouthfeel:  a little thin on the front, dark berries swirl on the tongue, slight oaky spice on the finish, moderate acidity, it does not have that watery edge like the 2010.

My Strength Rating: 5/5.5- medium body
                
To the Point: While this seems close to the 2010 – I think I like this one just a tad better.  I have two more bottles left and I’ll check out the next one in a year or two.    


The Cigar

La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Magnifico

Wrapper: Mexico
Fillers: Nicaraguan
Size: 6 x 52 Toro
$7.99 Smoky's of Northville

Off the Light: moderate earthy tones of soil and wood.  As the burn continues a medium-dark roast coffee hits the palate.  The wood starts to remind me of a light oaky note.  There is a light spice that shows up on the finish.  The texture is smooth at this point.  I’ll give it a 4.5 on my strength scale (medium body). 

The Pairing: this is a nice pairing.  Both are medium in body.  The berry notes of the wine mingle nicely with the earthy tones of the cigar.  The oak in the cigar seems to bring out a little oak in the wine.

Mid-Point: as the smoke enters the mid-section a toasted oak; some earthy soil starts to coat the palate with light oak spice.  As the cigar gets to the mid-point the oaky spice gets a little more body and the medium-dark roast coffee is still pleasing.  The texture is semi-smooth.  I’ll give it a 5 on my strength scale here at the mid-point.


The Pairing: I really like this wine during this pairing.  The toasted oak of the cigar has become the main note of the cigar here and is adding a good dimension to the wine.  The oak like spice of the cigar plays well with the light spice of the wine.  The earthy note of the cigar brings out the mineral soil note of the wine.  The dark berries of the wine seem to transfer to the cigar for a tasty experience.  I swear the cigar picks up a little floral note during this pairing at times – during this mid-point.

Down the Stretch: as the burn moves into the final third the body becomes a little fuller moving into the 5.5 range maybe 6.  The toasted notes are still pleasing; with toasted oak, toasted oak spice, and toasted grains.  The toasted oak spice is more on the finish.  The soil is a little darker.  The mouthfeel is still semi-smooth like.  

The Pairing: I really don’t want this cigar to end during this pairing – I have more wine to go!  The flavors are all playing well together for a very pleasing medium bodied experience.  I think a fuller bodied cigar just might be too much for this wine and overpower its delicate flavors. 

To the Point (cigar): this is a very nice cigar.  Worthy to buy and I think I’ll pick up a box soon. 

To the Point (pairing): this was a very nice pairing.  These two were meant for each other.  





  

No comments:

Post a Comment