Like It

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso and Arcturos 2011 Cabernet Franc: Pairing


The Wine

Arcturos 2011 Cabernet Franc

Black Star Farms
Suttons Bay, Michigan, USA
50% Grand Traverse County
50% Leelanau County
Vineyards: Montague Estate, Capella and Isidors Choice Vineyards
$25.00 a bottle
Blackstarfarms.com

Click here to read full review

Flavor Profile: fruit forward; with black currant, pomegranate, and raspberry notes, a hint of mineral soil and light spice on the finish.  The only thing that seems to change after the bottle has been opened for a couple hours is the ‘hint of mineral soil’ is just a tad firmer – just a tad.


The Cigar

La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Belicoso
Wrapper: Mexico
Fillers: Nicaraguan
Size: 5.5 x 54
$8.50 Smoky’s of Northville

Off the Light and First Half: moderate earthy tones of soil and coffee.  As the burn continues a medium-dark roast coffee hits the palate.  The wood starts to remind me of oak.  Spice shows up on the finish.  The texture is smooth at this point.  The earthy coffee profile during the first half is pleasing to the palate. The light spice adds some interest.  I’ll give it a 5 on my strength scale (medium body). 

Compared to the Toro I think I like the Belicoso better.  The earthy coffee note seems to be the main profile during the first half and the oak seems to be more of an undertone while smoking the Belicoso.  The oak seemed to be more upfront while smoking the Toro. 

The Pairing: this is a nice pairing.  Both are medium in body.  The berry notes of the wine mingle nicely with the earthy tones of the cigar.  The mineral soil note of  the wine really seems to bring out the coffee note of the cigar. 


Second Half: the rich soil note is tasty and the medium roast coffee is delicious.  There is a light dry cocoa powder hitting the palate, now and then, that is enjoyable.  Light oak spice still plays on the finish.  The texture is semi-smooth.  I’ll give it a 5 on my strength scale here on the second half.

The Pairing: I really like this pairing.  The rich soil and coffee notes of the cigar with the hint of dry cocoa powder just mingle so nicely with the dark berries and really brings out that mineral soil tone in the wine.  I thought the La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Toro was a nice pairing with this wine well … I think this is a bit better. 

You want to maximize your experience … try this pairing.  

I thought I was going to buy a box of the Toro's but, now I am going to have to smoke a couple more of each of these before I buy that box.  


No comments:

Post a Comment