Like It

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

San Lotano Oval Robusto and Angry Orchard Hard Cider Crisp Apple: Review


The Cider

Angry Orchard Hard Cider Crisp Apple
Angry Orchard Cider Company
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Naturally Gluten Free
12 oz bottle
5% abv
$8.69 a six pack

This year I said to myself, ‘Self, why don’t we do some ciders on the beer and cigar blog?’  Well, when I saw this on the shelf at a local grocery store I grabbed it up.

Now, I have not had many ‘hard ciders,’ I may have had one here and there.  Woodchuck is the lineup I have had a few from. 

Appearance: light golden amber that is just crystal clear as can be.

Aroma: fresh apple cider

Flavors: just like the aroma – fresh apple cider, the alcohol does not even play a role in this. 

Mouthfeel: crisp, clean, low to no carbonation, almost creamy feel, sweet apples linger on the palate

To the Point: I really needed this tonight – you see I didn’t want a beer nor did I want a wine and this really hit the spot for something different.  This would be tasty on a warm summer day.  I would buy a six pack again. 


The Cigar

San Lotano Oval Robusto
By: A.J. Fernandez
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano 2000
Binder: Nicaragua
Fillers: Nicaragua, Honduras & a secret
Size: 5.5 x 54

The three sizes in the picture: Robusto 5.5x54; Gordo 6.5x60; Pyramid 6.5x54

Taste Profile: the Robusto size has a rich soil tone, some hardwood, white pepper like spice, light-medium coffee, and a dry texture on the finish. 

My Strength Rating: 6 – on the light side of medium-full

To the Point: a quality earthy smoke that will need a beverage to keep the palate refreshed.    


The Pairing

The Angry Orchard Crisp Apple was sure refreshing to have with this San Lotano Oval Cigar.  The dry mouthfeel of the cigar just begs for a refreshing beverage and the Hard Cider is doing the trick. 

There is nothing special between the exchanges of these two.  The notes don’t really mix together; the apple flavor does not transfer over to the cigar for example.  But, like I said the Hard Cider is truly refreshing to have with a cigar.  

No comments:

Post a Comment