Like It

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale and a Cigar or Two

I bought a few bottles (750ml) of Duvel the other day because they had them on sale. So, tonight I am going to have a little fun and change things up. I have had this ale before but, it has been a year or two. I am not going to figure out the flavor profile and the strength ratings and I am just going to select a cigar or two to pair up with this ale. All I remember is that I did like this ale. Let’s see how this goes.

The first cigar to be paired this ale is the 5 Vegas Double Nickel. I thought the mellow style of these two should work. But, I was wrong. The oak profile of the cigar did not match up with the Duvel. The cigar made the ale taste bitter tonight. The ale had a strong bitter and peppery-spicy bite during this pairing.

The ale also affected the cigar. This cigar is usually smooth and tasty but, it also had a bitterness during this pairing. These two are not meant for each other. I don’t recommend this pairing.


Let’s grab a maduro cigar. I have a Hoyo de Monterrey Double Maduro just waiting to be enjoyed. This is a little better. “Little.” The ale does not seem as bitter during this pairing. There is no oaky taste to this cigar so, that should help according to the last pairing. The main profile is a medium roast coffee and earthy notes to this cigar. The earthy note of the cigar works a little better with the spice of the ale. There is a little sweetness coming from the ale during this pairing. I keep trying to identify any other notes but, nothing is standing out. This pairing was just ok.

Let’s see how the beer review goes tomorrow with a clean palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment