Like It

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Petrus Aged Pale Ale and Casa Torano Maduro Toro

The Ale


11.2 oz bottle
7.3% abv
Brewed by: Brouwerij Bavik
Belgium
My Strength Rating: 8.5

This delicious golden blonde ale is aged in oak barrels for over 20 months. This ale pours an attractive golden color and carries a nice white head that dissipates quickly.

The first thing I notice is the strong tart green apple taste that boarders the line on sour. This past weekend a friend brought some apples brushed with lemon juice to the party and this reminds a little of this ale. This ale has a bigger lemon juice profile and green apple bite though. I like the oak cask taste and the aroma that I get with each sip.

I have had this ale before and I already know that I like this one. This ale would be excellent after a big hearty meal like the one I had tonight.

Buy: yes – when your taste buds are ready for the acidic tart-sour bite of green apple and lemon.


Pairing this ale with a cigar could be interesting. With this big tart to sour profile along with a good oaky note just any cigar may not do the trick. I think I will have to do some deep research here and do multiple pairings – this will be a tough job but, I think I am ready.

This week I am pairing my beer with the Carlos Torano Cigars that come in a seven stick sampler pack. Out of the four cigars left I believe the 1916 Cameroon cigar would be an excellent choice. This medium bodied cigar has a good earthy and nutty profile that should mingle well with this ale but, I have had that cigar before and written about it as well. So, that is too easy of a pick – let me select the Casa Torano Maduro for its medium bodied strength and its sweet maduro taste. This ale could use a touch of sweetness to the beverage that it is paired with.

The Cigar

Casa Torano Maduro Toro - Read the previous posting


The Pairing

I just hope this does not ruin my flavorful ale. Here I go. Wow, this is not too bad. That tart-sour bite from the ale is really controlling that harsh profile of this cigar. The ale is making this a smokable cigar. The coffee note is not as burnt tasting and the earthiness is a little more pleasing while I pair these two together. I just wish there was a little more sweetness from the maduro cigar. The only thing that I am missing from the ale is that nice oaky flavor while I am smoking this cigar. I believe this ale deserves a better cigar than this Casa Torano Maduro. But, overall not bad. Good thing this ale could control this cigar.

No comments:

Post a Comment